MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 PM

Interesting knife

Would love to make a knife like this as a slip joint. I'm thinking the the spring would be way to thin and would bend. Any thoughts? I sure do like the look of the external spring though.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichaell View Post
Would love to make a knife like this as a slip joint. I'm thinking the the spring would be way to thin and would bend. Any thoughts? I sure do like the look of the external spring though.
I have one just like it, except considerably less nice, I purchased simply because I like the external spring design and thought it would be something neat to try. It is almost a cross-breed between a friction folder and a slip-joint. The 'spring' is, well, a piece of spring tempered steel. Given that it does not have to flex very far, I don't think it would bend unless misused.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Steel Addict

That is an interesting knife. I have never seen one like that before, thanks for posting!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Steel Addict

I think the correct terminology for the knife is a pull ring knife. It is basically the first locking folder and dates back to their 1800's popularity in the states and in some instances they can be traced back as far as the 1600's and may possibly predate that! Here is some info and pictures on them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pull...ml%3B600%3B600

Here is a Spanish version of the knife, they were much slimmer knives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navaja

Here is another bit of info on the use of these type knives, (the Spanish version) as a fighting knife!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.paladin...ree-Sample.pdf

Here is another reference, read the section on locking blade knives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_knife

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 08-24-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Steel Addict

You can buy thin 1095 at K&G for forging that would work to make the spring out of.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:02 AM

Good info. I saw on the website that was selling it, that it was a pull ring. I thought it would be cool to make a variation of it into a slip joint. Not sure how much I would trust the blade pushing against the spring though.

Last edited by dmichaell; 08-24-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Tags
1095, back, blade, design, folder, forging, knife, knives, make, pocket, steel