MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Steel Addict

Beginner with folding knives

I made some straight blade kit knives and would like to expand into the folding knives. I was thinking to start out with a kit knife first and then work my way up. Can anyone tell me a good place to get decent folder kits? I was looking at Jantz for some.

Also can someone point me in the right direction to read up on making my on folder later on. I am looking for something beginner that takes the steps and points out the parts and the locations they go, how to make them and tempering. I am looking into just using a torch and an old toaster oven for the heating process. I really can not afford a forge or kiln at this time. Maybe a single brick and torch method.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Here is anything you need.
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19
Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Steel Addict

Welcome to folders. you'll love to make them if you like to be picky your going to find out that you need to watch your tolerances much more with folders to make them work smoothly.

kits are a fine way to start out and learn how they work. there are a lot a places to get the kits and they are all about the same quality in my experiance. Janze, Kifenetwork, and Miswest knife Supply come to mind. I happen to like Tracy and MidWest, but shop around and see what people have. It wont be long befor you start making them from scratch.

you might think about getting Cris Crawfords video on folder making. he makes them just how your talking about with a torch and oven. after you get going pick up Dons vidio and see how he does it. neither are right or wrong, just different.

you can get a perfectly serviceable blade using a torch and oven if you start with a steel like 1080, 1095 or even O1. you wont jet the best the steel has to offer, but it will make a fine folder blade.

ask a lot of questions her AFTER you use the search button. the guys are really good about answering questions

Erik
Old 06-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Steel Addict

Thank you all for the post. I always try and check the search feature, sometimes you just dont know what to search for.
Being new to knife making, I am trying to figure out whats right/ wrong. Seems a lot of people are willing to support you as long as you ask the right question. Which I am still trying to figure out.

Who carries Cris Crawford video? Searched amazon to no luck.

Any other suggestions on reference material to learn how to make knifes for beginner? (folders )
Old 06-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Skilled

You can get Chris 's CDs direct from him . Google him .

Joe
Old 06-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Steel Addict

http://chriscrawfordknives.com/#/how...int/4535205212

Erik
Old 06-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Steel Addict

thanks all. I also found him on some knife supply sites.

Can anyone tell me a good book that shows torch tempering ? Beginner book?

Last edited by remist17; 06-03-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Steel Addict

I read some post here on the site but mostly the post are on finished knifes and not the progression. My biggest concern is laying the knife parts out and what steel to make them out of. For example the liners, what thickness do I make them and out of what metal. I see material listed as shims or liners but they seem thin to be liners. My other hang up is the design and cutting of the lock bar, I think that?s the right word. Are there books out there that provide prints ?
Old 06-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Steel Addict

So i am trying to get some material together from a book I purchased. It calls for 0.039" Nickel silver liners. I have looked at three knife suppliers under liners and the only thing i find is felt. I must be looking under the wrong item description. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Steel Addict

here is where you can get the nickle silver liner stock. you will usually find it under "sheet metal" at the web stores. I have made some folders using it but have gravitated to using 410ss because it doesn't oxidize over time and stays bright.

http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/417.htm

Erik
Old 06-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Steel Addict

laying out the parts can be tricky. I can get you a pattern for a slippie to try the first time but it is will be more about what you do with it that dictates how the folder comes out. loading the spring is the hardest part I had to learn. A drawing just cant tell you that. if you don't make the parts exactly how they are drawn your folder can be too weak or too strong to open and close.... believe me I KNOW! I have a few folders that look great but are nothing better than a paper weight.... HA

as for liners, it all depends on the folder you are making. I like smaller gents slippies and use .040 SS. started with .050 and felt it looked too thick. if on the other hand your making tactical folders your going to what the liners thicker probably. it sounds like your thinking about a liner lock for your first folder. you may want to consider Titanium for the liner because it will be easier to get the liner to spring in and out of locking but harder to work with.

cutting the lock has been done a lot of different ways. how you do it will largely be dictated by the tools you have at hand. something as simple as a Dermal tool and as complex as a milling machine can be used.

have you considered trying to find a knife maker close to you to maybe get you started on the right path?

Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by remist17 View Post
I read some post here on the site but mostly the post are on finished knifes and not the progression. My biggest concern is laying the knife parts out and what steel to make them out of. For example the liners, what thickness do I make them and out of what metal. I see material listed as shims or liners but they seem thin to be liners. My other hang up is the design and cutting of the lock bar, I think that?s the right word. Are there books out there that provide prints ?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Steel Addict

Erik
I like the locking knifes but seems the folders are easier to make. I bought some folder and locking kits to take dimensions off of. I also bought a pattern for a locker and it arrived Friday. I really am trying to get the parts together and figure what sizes to use and how they all go together. I bought a book pocketknife making for beginners and ready it cover to cover. So no its just getting the supplies..

Have you ever used carbon steel in your knifes or mostly stainless steel?

I have a dremel that I plan on using a lot.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Steel Addict

OK all I am ordering the follow items. Please let me know if I am getting the right stuff.
-Stop pin 1/8"
-.040" nickel aluminum flat stock
-2-56 Tap Plug style
-#51 drill bit cobalt
-3/8" flat head screws
-3/8" stand off
-1084 steel - 1/8 thick
-1/4" micarta scales
-belt sand paper from 60 to 400
-sheet sand paper from 400 to 1200
-2 brick forge ( still in testing)
- Atlas burner and regulator for forge from USAknifework (already here)
- Conola oil
- Old toaster oven
Old 07-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Steel Addict

Well I hope I git everything seems no one wanted to post to let me know. So I cut out the liners today and working on blade and lock tomorrow.
Im assuming the lock also needs to be heat treated?
Old 07-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Steel Addict

yes you should treat the lock to a spring temper. I haven't used the nickle silver for liner locks so don't if it will take a treat. titanium is the leader for that followed by 400 ss.

Erik

Tags
1095, art, blade, build, chris, folder, folding, forge, how to, kit, kit knife, kits, knife, knife making, knife supply, knives, made, make, making, material, post, scratch, steel, supply, video