MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWulf
The 1962 version of 'The Music Man' starring Robert Preston, Shirley Jones, Buddy Hackket and a myriad of others is by far the most popular. Most people aren't even aware that a '48 version was ever produced. The antagonist in the '62 movie, who eventually blows the whistle on Robert Preston, just happens to be an anvil salesman by the way. Heheh

Okay Don, you said you had a set of plans for a barlow available. How do I partake of those. IE, get your money to you, get the plans from you, so on??

Wulf
That's the one I remember. How'd you manage to remember that? I'll bet you Googled it. As I remember, that one was on Broadway a long time, a live show before they made the movie.

For the plans, go to my Knifemaker's Tools and Supplies web site. Don't use the shopping cart to order because I'm only charging you guys $1.00 for this project.

Click on the link below my signature here. Send the dollar with Paypal using my email address, or a check or money order sent to the address listed on the bottom of each page on the web site.

I'll need your mailing address.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If any of you would like to design your own Barlow but aren't sure about how to set up the lock work, there is a simple method of doing that explained on the first page of my liner lock tutorial at http://www.rayrogers.com/ftutorial.htm After the lock work is done, the rest is not much more than drawing a blade and handle...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
That's the one I remember. How'd you manage to remember that? I'll bet you Googled it. As I remember, that one was on Broadway a long time, a live show before they made the movie.

For the plans, go to my Knifemaker's Tools and Supplies web site. Don't use the shopping cart to order because I'm only charging you guys $1.00 for this project.

Click on the link below my signature here. Send the dollar with Paypal using my email address, or a check or money order sent to the address listed on the bottom of each page on the web site.

I'll need your mailing address.

LOL...

Actually, 'The Music Man' is one of my all time favorite musicals. Before I became ill I used to be in the entertainment industry and have almost every musical ever produced on film on either video or DVD (most on both... lol). Music Man is one of those I know almost every scene by heart. I can still hear the anvil salesman's case go 'THUMP-KA-CHANG' every time he set it down. LOL.....

Okay, I'll go the PayPal route. That will provide my address for you also.

Thanks

Wulf
Old 04-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Hall of Famer

[IMG]barlow start[/IMG]

Here's a picture of most of the materials I'm going to use for my barlow.

The 1/8" dia. x 2-56 thread straight stainless pivot pins and stainless screws came from Halpern titanium. Not shown is the 1/16" titanium 6AL 4V sheet that I'll make the liners from. It also came from Halpern.

Four screws are 2-56 button hd. to go into the two pivot pins. One of these will be used at the back end of the handle to act as a dowel pin to maintain alignment. The other screws are 1-72 flat heads, used to hold the bolsters and scales on, and to hold the back spacer to the liners. These won't show, as they'll be covered by the scales.

I'll use the damascus for the blade , back spacer, and bolsters. It's 1/8" thick now, so I'll grind some of it down to 3/32" for the blade. The damascus came from TKS.

I'll add a few dowel pins where necessary thru the liners and back spacer.

Gold lip MOP scales.

The bronze bushings I make myself to suit each knife. I'm thinking of adding these to my Knifemaker's Supply web site.

When it's finally finished, I'll substitute 24k gold plated screws all over. I get these from Koval.

Now, guys, let's see the start of YOUR WIP.

(EDITED) I forgot to add the two washers to the photo. I'll use .010 or .015" nylatron, or make them myself from brass shim stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barlow start3.jpg (29.2 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by Don Robinson; 04-07-2005 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Forgot the washers
Old 04-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Skilled

I will try to post some of my materials over the weekend, John Greco is coming to my house and I promised him I would take some photos of his new Greco/Scagels, Greco/Rodgers and Greco/Searles knives he has made since he has come out of retirement as his health has improved and is now able to work in his shop again. I am supposed to post these new knives for him on his website so I will probably get to post here again about Sunday evening if all goes as planned. I look forward to seeing others post their WIP's as well.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Gil, can you get John to join us and make a barlow??

Wulf, your prints will be mailed tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Master

Hello.
I am using .050 thick titanium from Algha knife supply. The pivot is a i/8" stailess from Downie Knive supply as are the 0 X 80 flat heads for the spacer and 0 X 80 button heads for the bolsters and scales.
I fist made a paper pattern, made a blade and handle out of arborite and then made sure they would wok together. I rough cut the first liner with a friction cutting band saw and the contour ground it to the line. Titanium can be a nusciance to work with. It will get super hot and deposit a coating on the sanding belt, even a 60 grit one. To help avoid some of this problem, slow your grinder down if you can, use less pressure on the piece you are grinding or both. I will continue tomorrow night. ask questions if you like. Frank

Old 04-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Looks like you're ahead so far, Frank.

I still have a few hours to put into my current order, a small linerlock pocket knife, before I can start a barlow, but I've got everything together for it/them.

If nothing gets in the way, I may get this knife finished by next Monday.

I friction cut my steel and Ti, too.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:59 AM
Master

Hi Don and all.
I will go slow on this one and start another. It's not how I do it that's so great, but that there just might be something that will help someone else. frank

Old 04-08-2005, 07:24 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Niro
Hi Don and all.
I will go slow on this one and start another. It's not how I do it that's so great, but that there just might be something that will help someone else. frank
Yes, Frank, we need to use this thread to show pictures of our WIP as we go along, to help all of us learn from one another and actually see different ways to accomplish the same objective.

Has anybody else gotten started? I know I've sent out a few designs, and some of you probably have yours on hand by now. Please show and tell about your supplies and sources, and show your WIP. If you need help with posting attachments, we'll help you.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

I'm a new maker, and this would be my first folder...is it out of my league? If you think I'd be able to accomplish it, I'd like to give it a whirl
Thanks
~Brian

Old 04-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaegar
I'm a new maker, and this would be my first folder...is it out of my league? If you think I'd be able to accomplish it, I'd like to give it a whirl
Thanks
~Brian
Yes, Brian, give it a try. However it comes out, you'll learn a lot from the experience.

There are some great folder makers here, making this barlow, and others from beginners to experienced makers.

Everybody's welcome to participate.

Are you related to my old friend, "Billybob" Sowell?

We'll all give you a hand with it. You would benefit from reading and studying my book "My Way". It shows everything about making a linerlock; liners, pivot, lock, and detent. The rest you already know how to do.

We'll count you in. Welcome. Please read all the posts from the start, if you haven't already done that.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Skilled

I will ask John when he gets here Saturday, but I think he is pretty busy with the new line of knives he is currently working on but it would be great if he would make one with us.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

Don,
I'm just back from out of town and picked up on this thread. I won't be able to join you and the other guys immediately as I've got to go out of town again week after next. I'll keep a monitor to see how things are going. Finished up my barlow slipjoint with a wharncliff blade and in the middle of another one. I'm building confidence slowly in the folder category, but not dismayed yet. Just gotta pay attention to the job that pays me! I'll be following the progress--Dan

Old 04-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Hi, Dan.

It's not too late. Make your second one a barlow and join us.
Closed Thread

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade