MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:19 AM

Take your time and keep the first ones simple until you learn to "dance" with the grinder. There is a definite rythum to grinding just like forging. Once you get the steps right it'll be easy.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Guru

Nice grinder Rockhound. If I may be so bold, if you have a tap set I might suggest you might want to drill and tap a small 6-40 screw hole on the small plate you JB welded to the bottom of the platen to hold the glass just for insurance. The JB Weld will probably be good enough and it's good to around 600 degrees assuming you used the two part regular JB Weld epoxy. I'm a nervous nancy on grinder safety, but that is what I'd do. If that glass ever does come loose it will be a miracle if you don't get hurt and I wouldn't trust even JB Weld. I saw you wrote welded the lip, but I didn't see a weld so I think you might have meant JB welded? If it is metal welded in one way or another then please disregard my suggestion.

Last edited by jimmontg; 10-15-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Skilled

Thanks Jim, the lip is indeed attached with three tack welds so she should be good.
I used the two-part formula of JB for the glass.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:50 AM

Congrats! Looking good
Old 04-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Skilled

I have another question regarding power. I've been running it all winter and really getting the hang of it, love this grinder!. My only problem with the KMG is that after about 5-10 minutes of continual use it trips the power strip that I have it plugged into. I'm definitely not overworking the machine, happens even during light sanding. It's never tripped the Leeson breaker that is built-in to the switch box. I'm using a "Monster" brand power strip which is supposed to be rated for "equipment" but I am not sure if it's up to the task. Perhaps there is a specific rating of power strip I should be using... or... is this to be expected?
115V Model. Any advice much appreciated.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:39 AM

Power strips tend to get "worn-out" sensitive and start tripping at lower amperage draw (not all but many). Sounds like yours has gotten sensitive. The "Monster" comes in several configurations some are more shop worthy than others.

That aside, I have always found it better to have big draw items like grinders etc direct plugged to service receptacles and not through a power strip of any kind. You could eliminate the power strip and plug directly to a recp. and see if the problem continues to occur. If so, you have a surge problem with your drive/motor and need to have it checked out. If you have to use an extension cord, keep it short as possible and use good heavy duty one. Run your grinder awhile then feel the cord and it's connectors at both ends. They will probably be warm but shouldn't be hot. If hot, again get help.

Another possibility is if you have more than one item plugged in to the power strip and more than one thing running you might be exceeding the 15 amp surge at some point tripping it's on board breaker.
Also check the amperage rating on your motor tag just to make sure it's not higher than any of your in-line breakers ie. - power strip and main breaker for recep.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Skilled

Thanks Carl, I will definitely try as you suggested. Much appreciated.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 AM

Figured you'd be back to digging by now or are you still in thaw mode?

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-17-2018, 07:28 AM
Skilled

Still in thaw mode until mid or late June but my other business is very busy. I managed to create 8 blanks this winter and they are done with heat treat but may have to wait until fall before I'll have time to finish and sheath them.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Skilled

Carl, a quick thank you again and follow-up. I eliminated the power strip. I cannot run directly into a wall outlet so I bought the shortest and heaviest gauge ext cord I could find up here.
Voila! I've been running it like a demon on all speeds for days and not a single kill yet.
Many thanks!

Old 04-22-2018, 06:21 AM

Glade it worked out, by what you described most things leaned toward a chinkeneese circuit breaker in the strip. Couple of surge trips and they get pretty weak, never liked the things. Hard to beat good heavy wire connections. Might occasionally feel and inspect the ext. cord after a period of use, never hurts. Might even be good to touch the panel circuit breaker for that connection with the back of your knuckle from time to time. Warms pretty normal, but alarmingly hot means you need to call in an electrician.

Why the back of your knuckle (or hand) you might ask - you can still use your hand if you get a burn on the back side, but might not be able to if you burn the inside curve. Also any muscle contraction will automatically cause you to jerk away from the source of stimulus (best direction if you know what I mean).

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-15-2019, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Location: I was born and raised in Spanish Fork, Utah. I now live between Manti and Ephraim, Utah. We built a home here about 10 year ago.
Rockhound,

Now that you are using your KMG, I would like to suggest a couple of fine tune things.. The handle to lock the sliding wheel bar is a bit close to the front support. I have bumped my knuckle tightening the bar more than once or twice. A simple modification will make this easier to use by making the hole to allow a 1/2 inch threaded bolt that extends further out. The handle to draw down the arm is not in a comfortable position for me so I extended it out and up so I can reach for it more easily.

I wish you well, LP
Old 02-16-2019, 05:22 AM

Good tips Larry. I did something similar with my belt release handle by adding about 8" bar to extend. Does make changing belts much easier. The locking bolt/lever hasn't been an issue for me, but can see where it might be an aggravation for some.

I was in a fellow Guild member's shop recently and he had tipped his bed forward by raising the rear about 6". It was more comfortable for some operations. Thinking about doing a temp jack-up for a few weeks just to see if I like it that way in general.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Skilled

Thank you for these tips! I don't have any complaints regarding the locking lever for the wheel bar. My only knuckle buster is pictured below.
2019-02-16_07-46-58 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Old 02-17-2019, 06:32 AM

Looking good Dave. I hardly ever use my platen, but yeah a bit of an aggravation. Would recommend putting a "back splash" behind the machine - sparks and grind debre will be hitting that window frame and accumulating (faster than you think).
Another tip - always check for smoldering when you shut down for the day. Debre build up can hid a smoldering spark and later warm things up where you don't want it. I keep a squirt bottle handy all the time.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
2x72, advice, art, assemble, bee, belts, choose, files, grinder, grinding, hobby, kit, kmg, knife, knifemaking, knives, making, mill, mount, package, paint, steel, stock removal, switch, tool