MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

Slip joint Liner Relief

Ok, so this may be a stupid question. I've been looking to make my first slip joint and I've been reading Don's book as well as other videos on Youtube, and I see the step to mill out the relief on the liners so as to not scratch the portion of the tang that rubs it.

My question is why would we not use a washer for this? I know we'd have to adjust the thickness of the blade to account for it, but not having a mill, this would be more in what I could do.

-Dan

Old 08-16-2017, 12:23 PM
Steel Addict

Both ways are fine to use. I happen to use washers because the tools and my thought process go that way. I do have a milling machine so I could relieve the liners but just haven't got the fixturing set up for that.

I surface grind my blade and spring anywYs so surfacing the blade down an extra 10 thousands is easyer for me.

Erik
Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 AM
Hall of Famer

You can also relieve the area using a Dremel with a sanding sleeve. Just leave an area like a washer. Works fine!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Steel Addict

You can relieve the area using a mill to make the circular relief. Nobody says they have tobe circular. Shadleys relief are ground out in a square pattern. Both methods work. Do as Don says then use a crater wheel to polish the relief.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Dan, I've relieved the liners on my folders some, but I mostly have been using .005" washers that I make form stainless steel shim stock.

One advantage that the relieved liners have over the washers is that you have a little more surface area on your tang, and that helps steady the blade. That being said, you can get pretty much the same deal with washers, but you need to try to make your washers as large as you can without them hanging over any part of the tang. If he washers overhang the tang, the back spring or lockbar can get hung on it.

I have a YouTube video showing how I make my washers. I can't get to it from here, but if you go to my website and click on "Tutorials" and then "Video Tutorials" you will find it.

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Chris.

I've actually purchased a couple of your DVDs (streaming) on slip joints so I've seen how you make the washers. I've also purchased Don's book in which he describes the relief milling. Reconciling the two ways is what caused me to raise the question here.

By the way, I used your tutorials to build my own etcher, so you're reaching us noobs out there!

-Dan

Old 08-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Steel Addict

Washers can also be purchased in various sizes from knife maker supply shops. Dan

Tags
bee, blade, book, build, chris, grind, knife, knives, make, mill, pattern, polish, question, relief, sanding, scratch, slip joint, stainless steel, steel, surface, tang, thickness, tools, washers