MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:21 PM

New to folders

Hello,
quick introduction. I am a french software engineer, lives near Boston, MA for the last 3 years and about a year ago I started to make knives. Although I was mostly interested in folders I started with fixed blades, made a couple then I went to folders.

I am mostly learning, I made 2 lockbacks both with their own issues and hopefully the next one will be better.
First one is a bit oversized in general and specially the handle vs the blade. I tried to hide some of that by making the scales cover only part of the liners

Second one is much smaller, in fact the size I wanted it to be, here is a WIP picture next to its big brother

And some finished pictures

That second one has more structural problems, the issue is that I have been using the same size stock for the spacer in the back, the lockbar and the blade, I also use some washers. On the large knife it is not such an issue because of how long the handle is, on the smaller one it was and I tried to compensate by thinning the blade with a file. However I didn't file the sides of the tang parallele enough so now if I tighten the pivot enough that there is not too much play, it becomes a bit hard to close it and the blade doesn't snap back in the close position.

I am adressing this in the next knife. I have ordered steel stock that is the exact thickness of the blade stock and the 2 washers. i intend to use it for both the spacer and the lock bar.

Another issue has been dealing with the kick. I filed too much of it so I switched to using a stop pin to prevent the blade from touching the locking bar instead of the intended way (the kick touching the bar).

All in all I am happy to have made those two but expect the next one to be better.

Finally. The only power tool I use is a drill press, all is done with hand files, hacksaw and sandpaper.

Any advice and critics are welcome

Last edited by terrinecold; 06-09-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:52 PM

In case anyone is interested in what the knifes are made of, they both have O1 blade/liner/lockbar/spacer and olive wood handles.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Looks great. Are these kits, and what kind of wood is that?

I also use mainly just a drill press and hand tools, though not nearly for that much metal work.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Steel Addict

Looks like you have a good start in folders. each one you do, you will learn something from and hopefully make the next one easier.

might fill out your profile a bit more so we can get to know you better.

Welcome, Erik
Old 08-17-2017, 08:49 AM

@cnccutter you are right I will fill out the profile
@Neil McCAuley no they are not kit they are done completely by hand starting from raw material (piece of wood, bar of steel) except for the screws and pivots
Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 AM

Another update here, due to vacations in France then a move I haven't been able to work on knives for a while. I have also injured myself a week and a half ago rock climbing (broken rib cartilage which makes the rib dislocating itself very often). This injury prevents me from setting my workshop up in the new house until it is healed so I may not work on knives for another month or two
Old 08-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Steel Addict

Hey terrinecold, Those are nice knives for just getting started with folders. I hope you heal up quickly and are able to get back to it.

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com

Tags
advice, bee, blades, drill, file, files, fixed, folder, handle, knife, knives, large knife, made, make, making, pivot, play, press, scales, software, spacer, steel, tang, thickness, washers