MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

By the way, Rab, Don is one of the VERY best at making folders. I went to a large knife show and the only table that made other knifemakers come by and stare was Don's table.

Don, my best to you, amigo! Stan Buzek and I were just talking about you the other day - all good things!!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJack View Post
By the way, Rab, Don is one of the VERY best at making folders. I went to a large knife show and the only table that made other knifemakers come by and stare was Don's table.

Don, my best to you, amigo! Stan Buzek and I were just talking about you the other day - all good things!!
Well, keep talking, my old friends. Maybe it'll make me last a little longer. Wish we could get together, but I can't travel out of town in a car.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

Just to add to the conversation, Don also has books on this subject. I've purchased one myself and he takes you through the process step by step. He has a link in his sig.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Skilled

You can't go wrong with Don's plans or books. I've used both and had a great time with it.

I also used the tutorial linked to for Ray Rogers website. It's a great method for learning to design your own folding knife patterns.

Trenton

Old 02-28-2017, 10:14 AM

I can second the "Slip Joints My Way" book by Don. Here's a pretty great tutorial, http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ip...project-knife/. Also check out the one posted by Steve Culver at culverart.com. I've made several of my own templates using free software called inkscape. It allows you to rotate the blade around a specified point to see if everything fits. I posted one of them here for peer review. I'm happy to say I used it to successfully make two functioning slippies.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:49 PM

Hey Don

Just letting you know the plans arrived safe and sound today.

Haven't really had time to look at them much but already like the half stop element of the design which even if I was making folders for the next 20 years would probably never have occurred to me.

Hopefully I can get a start this weekend on the build... although will need to convert all the measurements to metric first.

If I run into any trouble which I probably will I will give you a shout.

Thanks

Rab
Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Glad you received the design. Now I'll work with you if you can use my help.

Have lots of fun with the metrics. Email me when I can help.

Tags
automatic, bee, beginner, easy, folder, folding, folding knife, hand, instruction, kit, knife, knife kit, knifekits, knifekits.com, knives, made, making, simple, slipjoint, step by step, supplies, switchblade, template, tutorial, wood