MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 PM

A2 help

Can/would someone please tell me the heat spec's for making a spring from A2 tool steel. I have a Parragon Oven and RC tester and I planned to try for 46-48 RC much like I do with 01. BUT I have no idea if this is best using A2....help.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Skilled

Try Here : https://www.hudsontoolsteel.com/

Click on any steel you want to know Just the who's, what's, when's and where's as well as how to deal with them .

I have posted the site many times Hopefully With the Admin and the Elders We can / Should compile a "Reliable Resource Thread" and "PINNED" it for folks to help with the Vast amount of questions of this very Nature .

Imy self will try to find what I have compiled and noted to help with this project .

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 08-07-2014, 03:14 PM

A2

Thanks for your trouble in replying. Hudson Tool gave all the specs (that I already had ) but didn't talk about what's best for spring using A2. I'm unsure whether ALL springs are mid-40's RC. Probably so. I'll know first hand soon! (-:
Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Skilled

NOTE Here :https://www.hudsontoolsteel.com/technical-data/steelA2

Physical Properties:

On the Very first Table it shows Hardness, Tempering, RC scale, and Temp ranges.

There is also a vast amount of other information on the page for calculation Utilization for A2 Steel and Making a Spring Presumably for a lock back knife there as well . are you asking for that specific information ? as you were NOT Very Clear as to Just what information you were seeking .

It was Not any Trouble to reply to your request I tried to help you out Sir However if you will be More Precise in executing your Quest for information and the Answers you Seek I will Be More then Happy to obliged you with the Proper Answers that you Seek.

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 08-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Hall of Famer

45 to 50Rc will do fine.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 PM

A2

THANK YOU!!! I wrote the folks at Hudson Tool Steel since the web page didn't say anything about it beyond the RC scale after temper.The General Manager wrote he "didn't know".....ya right. Bet if I'd ordered a bunch they would have found out. So thank you very much!!!!!!!!!
I have tempered it twice, 1100 then 1075 degrees 2hrs each, and the RC is 48-49.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Skilled

You have hit it spot on .

Old 08-09-2014, 08:26 PM

Many thanks to you both for your help. So far so good with the spring. It is the button/lock intregal spring on a KA-BAR Grizzly inspired knive.

Tags
back, hand, heat, help., how to, knife, lock, making, project, scale, steel, temper, tools