MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:06 PM

Weight reduction for Umnumzaan?

I have owned a CRK Umnumzaan for several years. This folding knife incorporates most of what I prefer in a heavier duty pocket knife. It also has one fault - more than five ounces of weight (5.12). Using a belt sheath, which I do not, or its securing clip, which I do on occasion, the knife becomes of marginal use for me. I am small and its weight would probably not inconvenience larger people. One side effect of the weight is it tends to wear holes in my pant pockets.

When I became exasperated, I called CRK to ask whether they could reduce its weight. The obvious method would be to "Swiss cheese" the non-essential parts of left and right scales. These are thick and much heavier than need be. The response was that they do not do that, . . . but, depending upon what would be done, they might not have a problem with it being done. . . . Years pass.

For everyday use I began using one of my $4.95 Cold Steel TwistMaster? medium clip point knives. It weighs nearly three ounces (2.88) and feels imperceptible in my pocket - at only 1.5 ounces weight difference and essentially zero size difference. I have no explanation why this small weight difference is such a large improvement in carrying comfort.

The TwistMaster? is not a heavier duty knife. . . which brings me to my query. If there are competent people who routinely reduce weight of folding knives, please identify them. If you are aware of someone who routinely does this for CRK Umnumzaans, please let me know.

Tags
cold, cold steel, folding, folding knife, knife, knives, pocket, pocket knife, problem, scales, sheath, steel