MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Steel Addict

Guys

I got mine about halve way done. To manny jobs and not enough time.

http://www.finchknives.com/
Old 07-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Master

Stay with it Ricky!!! Frank

Old 07-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Skilled

Hello all,
Dad Gum! I just found this thread. If I had found it sooner, I would have loved to have go at it. I have never made a folder. Fact is, I have only finished a couple of fixed blades and I had to have a lot of help completing them. I have learned quite a bit though. I am lucky, I have a knifemaker friend (Ken Beatty) who puts up with me on a regular basis. I also know Ray Rogers. I say I know him, I don't actually, but I bend his ear on paltalk when I can and I do consider him a friend. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at Ray's tutorial on building a Liner Lock and I have sketched out quite a few that I would like to try. Now for the next project, I hope you guys will try something really simple. I don't have a lot of tools. I have a forge, 1 x 42 grinder which I ain't very good at using yet, drill press, a dremil and lots of files. What is a frame lock and what is the difference between a liner lock and a frame lock? Sorry, I just don't know the difference. I assume it has something to do with the way in which they lock open. I know you guys just finished this project, I started reading last night and I read about half way through it. It was fantastic reading by the way. Any way, hope you guys will try something simple and I will do my best to follow along.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Master

Hey Don!
Take a bow!! look at the enthusiasm you are creating!!! Frank

Old 07-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Chaney
What is a frame lock and what is the difference between a liner lock and a frame lock? Sorry, I just don't know the difference. I assume it has something to do with the way in which they lock open. I know you guys just finished this project, I started reading last night and I read about half way through it. It was fantastic reading by the way. Any way, hope you guys will try something simple and I will do my best to follow along.
Welcome, Anthony.

We'll definitely start a new project within a few weeks after everybody gets their barlow finished. Some are still working on one. So far the concensus tilts a little toward a framelock folder.

A framelock is the same as a linerlock without bolsters and handle scales. It's made from thicker titanium and doesn't need all that other stuff.

To see the difference, click on my web site below my signature here. When the site opens, use the navigation URL's at the top of the page and click on the one titled "Framelock Folders". Then click on the "Linerlock" page.

Don't be a stranger.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Niro
Hey Don!
Take a bow!! look at the enthusiasm you are creating!!! Frank
Thanks, Frank. Enthusiasm was my purpose. That's the reason for the name of this thread.

And thanks very much to you, too, Mr. Frank Niro, for your enthusiastic help and support.

My thanks to anyone who asked a question, answered a question,made a good stab at building the barlow, and especially everyone who posted their WIP and finished work.

And thanks to those whom (ain't that word fancy?) I know will finally get their knives finished later.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Well I've got some done
I have profiled one blade and about to start on the other (making 2 at once, as said before, makes a great handle). I will post some pictures of the WIP as soon as I can. One setback for me in the beginning was getting all the supplies and tools necessary for it. I haven't used any stuff I didn't already have yet but hope to work on it soon. (I already had the steel, etc.) I'll still need some other parts to complete it (money is an issue) but I hope to pick them up at the texas knife show this month.
I'll probaby try to prepare the blades for heat treat and send them off by the end of this week. Not a whole bunch more needed. I'll then see if I can pick them up from Texas Knifemakers Supply at the knife show, assuming they wouldn't be ready before then. Meanwhile I'll work on the handles and hopefully have everything pretty much ready, excluding the liner lock. I'll then show the parts that I have to you, Mr. Robinson, at the show, and assemble it soon after at home, with the new parts purchased at the show.

Thats where this knife stands, thanks again to Mr. Robinson for providing this challenge, I have enjoyed it!

~Brian
P.S. No worries, I'll post the completed knife ASAP!

Old 07-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Sounds good, Brian.

I'm looking forward to meeting you at the knife show.

By the way, the second barlow I made for this thread sold yesterday. The one with white MOP scales and damascus bolsters.

Now I need to make another one for the show.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Guru

Hey Don, I just saw this thread the other day when I was searching for friction folder info... funny how this stuff works out. I don't spend a lot of time in the folder forum because I don't know how to make them I've been working with a local maker and he was going to help me make one of his folders, so maybe I can do both projects at the same time. I'll wrangle a dollar out of my wife somehow, send me a pm with your mailing address and I'll get it out there.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 11-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Hall of Famer

My email and postal address are both on my web sites.

Click on the links below my name here.

The barlow is a linerlock, and it will be easier to understand if you have experience making other types of folders. Good luck with learning from your friend. And we'll enjoy having you here also.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Guru

Hey Don, I sent you the dollar through PayPal. Thanks for doing this for everyone.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 11-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Good, Cap.
Closed Thread

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade