MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 AM
Registered

Steve Johnson is a true gentlman, a thank you to him

In short, my dad grew up with Steve in Manti, apparently Steve wasn't to picky about his friends Anyway 9 years ago dad died. Before he died he made sure that I got one of his prize posessions, a beautiful little rosewood hunting knife that he and Steve had made in 1965-66(according to Steve) in Hibbens shop. I am not a collector, nor was dad, we're hunters so this knife had been used for 30 years. I worked with dad so I had heard about his years of friendship and adventures with Steve, and I knew how proud he was of Steves success and the fact that he owned a small piece of Steves early work. To shorten the story a little, I now own this knife, and had a son of my own. Dad never met him, so it became increasingly important that I pass on to my son(now sons) something that dad had(by the way Steve, my younger son will get dads old British .303 if you remember that gun). I had locked this knife in the safe, saving it for him. On a whim I reached out to Steve, telling him who I was and what I had(I had only met Steve once as a small kid). Steve responded back that not only did he remember the knife, he would like to "tune it up" for me. I sent it to him. Not only did Steve return this knife to near new condition, he stamped it with his SR Johnson trademark and included a letter with it about the knife and some of its history. I was floored! I now have one of those family heirlooms that is priceless to me, and will be to my son as well. Steve did this out of the kindness of his heart, at no cost, just to be good guy.
I have hoped to find a way to make it known what this meant to me, and would have meant to my dad when tonight I stumbled across this site. Like I said, my knives(other than this one) are tools for gutting and skining, but I joined this site just to publically thank Steve and to let his colleagues and fans know that he is a stand up quality guy!! Thanks Steve!!!

Nick Jorgensen
Old 03-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Steel Addict

Nick

That is truly a great story.

There are some really great guys and gals on this site and I am proud to be a member.

Welcome to the forum.

Jeff

Last edited by xspook2158; 03-10-2012 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Forgot to spell check
Old 03-11-2012, 01:45 PM

That's a really touching story, thank you very much for sharing it with us.

I am from Argentina and a great fan of Mr. Johnsons knives. It is not easy to get his knives here, but I managed to buy 3 of them in the US and get them here. I exchanged 2 o 3 emails with Mr. Johnson inquiring about one of these pieces and he was really very, very kind. He replied in no time and included all the information he could tell. I am very gratefull for that. As you said, he is a true Gentleman.

Could you post some pics of your knife? I'd really love to see that one!

Regards,

Santiago
Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Both of you gentlemen re too kind! Thank you very much, Jeff. Gordon was a true friend and it was a privilege to tune up that old hunter that was finished along about 1966. One of the hardest working and fun-loving guys I ever met!
Santiago, I hope you enjoy the knives and that we can meet someday.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 12-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Steel Addict

Great story and wonderful end to the story!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 12-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Skilled

Very interesting your history.
Steve Johnson is really a great guy.

E-mail: cutromano@yahoo.com
Old 01-17-2017, 04:24 AM
Registered

Good interesting about history.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:10 AM

Gordon Jorgensen was one great guy, a one-of-a-kind, who was, and still is, loved by so very many!

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Tags
bee, collector, forging, hunter, hunting, hunting knife, interesting, knife, knives, post