MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Master

holsters

my wife got us into cowboy six-gun shooting. so this last couple of days i made up 5 holsters- two cross draw and three regular. the thing is, i think i'm going to have problems down the road. where the belt loop is sewn on is right where the cylinder of the gun is . won't this rub through the stiching in time? what do you do if sewing? paul
Old 01-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Paul - First off welcome to SASS - that is assuming you have joined or plan to - I am member #4485 so I've been around a while.

Now a couple of questions - are you planning on being as authentic as possible or.......?

Either way the best way to prevent the problem is to make Mexican loop holsters - no threads to wear. If you need a pattern for this type holster contact me direct at chuck@wrtcleather.com or better call me at 970-259-8396.

But since this same problem occurs with knife sheaths here is the fix. Attach your belt loop and pre-punch your holes - turn your piece over and then "connect the dots" on the inside with either a straight tip groover or with what ever tool you have available. If you dampen the leather a bit it will make cleaner cut on the flesh side. After grooving take your Overstitch wheel and run it over the seam to be - dampen the leather first of course. This will set a "bed" for your thread that will keep it from wearing. After sewing dampen you seam, tap it lightly with a smooth faced metal hammer, and then run your OVER STITCH wheel over the seam. Use some pressure and this will set and even your seam.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Wild Rose
- I am member #4485 so I've been around a while.
old, old, old....
Old 01-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Yep I even remember when dirt was something new!

At least I'm not ripe! 8o yet........

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Master

thanks for the reply- went to our local club shoot [don't have to be a member of sass- but plan to join]- had lots of fun, lot to learn. i did what you suggested with two- but, getting up in years; i forgot to sew the loop before i sewed the holster togeather on the other ones. made for some difficult sewing on the loops. oh well, live and learn. never thought of wetting the leather before using the straight groover, or tapping the stiching when done. that will help alot. also, was afraid to make a mexican loop- thought it might not work and i would waste a lot of leather. could one be made of paper first, or because of the thickness of leather it wouldn't work? thanks again- paul
Old 01-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Paul -
Email me at chuck@wrtcleather.com .

let me know what type of guns you are using and I will send you a Mexican Loop pattern that will be guaranteed to work.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 01-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

Chuck: I've been having so much fun with your knife sheath instructions, I thought last night, I' like to try a holster for my old Ruger Blackhawk......Not a real six shooter, but if its similar enough to what you are describing, I'd really like to see a pattern, or at least get pointed in that direction. Everything you've said about the sheaths works great. Thanks for all the help, support and energy you give to this forum. Jay
Old 01-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

J- what style holster - a Mexican Loop or a more hunting type?

Email me your address and what you want and I'll mail you one to fit a Blackhawk. chuck@wrtcleather.com easier than writing a tutorial!

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Tags
knife