MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Joel
Burr King

After 10 years, I've finally decided to get a new grinder. My business has sort of outgrown my old 2 X 42 and I need something that does it a bit better where I don't have to do as much hand work after the basic grinding. Since I flatgrind only, my main concern was tracking and durability rather then a lot of extra attachments. I'd been leaning towards a Wilton, but the new Jantz catalog lists the Burr King again. I had thought they were permanently discontinued. Went to the factory site and looked at a couple of attachments it comes with,mainly the buffer. Has anyone used the, to me, new Burr King. Bader also offers a variable speed for only $999. If anyone knows anything about those? I know a variable will allow me to polish with the finer grit belts lasting longer than they do on my current grinder, but I've sort of over the years heard about the variable speed versions suffering motor burnout. Since I'm pretty much in an information vacuum about the "better" grinders out there, is there any truth to that? I don't want to put out all that money and find out there's some glitch I don't know about which would screw up my new purchase due to ingnorance on my part.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Hall of Famer

I don't believe you can go wrong with either of those grinders. I don't use variable speed, so I can't speak to that. The Wilton will do anything you ask, fast to change configuration, but it's awful fast and sounds like a freight train.

I have a Wilton Square Wheel I use for hogging and roughing profiles. I use my Burr Kibg 2x72 for all finishing work. I also flat grind. The Burr King runs much slower and is silky smooth.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The grinders you mentioned are fine grinders but they haven't been the 'hot' grinder for quite a while. Have you looked at the KMG? At the moment and for the last 5 years or more the KMG has been the pro's choice. Yes, they do support a lot of options that you say you don't need but they are options which means you don't have to buy them. Use the Search key and see what people who use the KMG have to say about it.

As for variable speed, I have never heard of anyone who has it that would be willing to give it up. I certainly wouldn't. I've never heard of motor burnout either, in a professionally build unit. Mine has been in constant use for at least 9 years.

You are about the make the most important tool addition to your shop that a knife maker can make. Any of these grinders will change and improve the way you work. You may find that you may want to expand the techniques you use and try things you've never been able to try before. Having a grinder that can be easily augmented with different tools is the key to that kind of growth. The KMG was designed by knifemakers for knifemakers. It is solid, heavy, smooth, expandable, and tracks as well as anything else. You can get variable speed by simply using some step pulleys or a state of the art VFD motor and controller - your choice, your budget. Check out:

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com

Call them up and talk to Rob Frink, he'll tell you whatever you want to know ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the replys. I did a search on KMG and got some good info. Looked at the video's also. Nice machine. I think I"ll give Rob a call on Monday and talk to him.

Last edited by Joel; 03-18-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Joel,

What Ray said!

If you go the variable speed route you will have two options.
One is to use a DC motor and drive. The other is an AC motor (3 phase) and a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD).
Of the two the AC route will give you better low speed torque and is, to me a better way to go.

As to motor burn out...it can happen on AC motors for two different reasons.

VFD's can cause some very high voltage spikes to be output to the motor that can burn through the insulation of the windings. Motor manufacturers have had to beef up the insulation of the windings on motors that are going to see this kind of use and are called 'Inverter duty' rated and will safely handle these spikes.

That being said, I have been running VFD's on numerous non inverter rated motors in my shop for many years and have not had any issues (knock on wood!). But I have seen it happen at work (industrial environment).

The second is if you run the motor at very low speeds for extended periods of time the motor is turning so slowly that the motor mounted fan does not move enough air across the motor to cool it. In grinding a knife I doubt that you would ever run it this slowly.

Keep these two issues in mind and buy motors rated for VFD use and you will have no problems.

Just my $.02.............

-Mike-
Old 03-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to MPMetal
we have 2 baders a 1.5 h Variable and a 2 H fixed both are great grinders the variable speed is totaly worthe the money but I would sigest going with the 2H variable as the 1.5 is a bit under powered for some things. we did have a control box go on ours due we think to age and a voltage spike in the line.
MP

Old 03-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Steel Addict

I called Rob this morning and ordered the unit with the 110v, 1.5hp VFD(his recommendation based on what I grind) and a whole bunch of good stuff. Can't wait to put some steel to it!! Thanks for all the great info and advice folks.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
That's what I have- you're going to love it.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 03-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Master

Quick call him back and switch to the 2hp. Just kidding, congrats, Craig

Tags
knife