MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2001, 07:08 PM
srjknives

Guild Show

So...... if you're going to the Guild Show this week-end, tell me who, what, do you want to see. (I don't recommend D-World in July!)

I'm always anxioius to see what those Europeans are doing that is different from last year. Great to see old friends, and meet new ones. There is always some great new knife, design, mechanism, to see. Please drop by my table and introduce yourselves, should you be at the show. I'll look for CKD names, too. Friends from Japan, also, always have some new, neat stuff.

I'll be sampling some Key Lime Pie, for sure and loving that Fla. O.J.

What're y'all bringing?

A couple that I'll have there are a Classic Hunter with Micarta bolsters, pinned on with little 3/32" ss tubes and Chinese Quince handle, a big Fighter/Survival with Ivory and a "Personal Model," which is a little hunter with Desert Ironwood and a little SS ferrule ahead of the handle slabs, made with a tapered tang of 1/8" ATS-34. A couple more and also, plus the TALONITE give-away and some knives for orders that I'm filling.

I mention the "Personal Model,"because I soldered the ferrule on without any pins. That Eutectic 157 PA, paste solder, flowed clear through the joint, so I think it's pretty well attached.

Maybe I shouldn't mention what I'm bringing....this is not an "Advertising Forum!" Advise, if you think this is un-cool, and I'll delete the above-mentioned knives.

Old 07-25-2001, 05:59 AM
Mike Conner

I think it is very cool. Just wish I was going to the show.
Mike
Old 07-25-2001, 08:05 AM
Don Cowles

Nice to see what sorts of things you are up to, Steve- please don't hesitate to post that kind of stuff.
Old 07-25-2001, 08:28 PM
DC KNIVES

Steve,hope to meet you at the show.I am going to get supplies,ideas ,see old friends and make some new ones.Dave
Old 07-25-2001, 10:11 PM
Ricardo Velarde

Yes I will be there too. Anyone come see the new Full Integral Clasic Hunter design with an S.R.Johnson & R.Velarde trade mark. Only for show, we promised we would not sell it.
Have a safe trip.
Ricardo
Old 07-26-2001, 02:57 AM
srjknives

We'll see you there, or report when we get home.

The big fighter has a fan....me! Sometimes they just "work."
Old 07-27-2001, 04:07 AM
ansoknives

All I can say is take some pictures!

BTW...what is Quince ?
Old 07-28-2001, 08:49 AM
Roger Gregory

Steve

Pictures please, especially the fighter and the Personal Model....oh and everything else too

Jens
Quince is one of the apple family (or Pome). I think it is sometimes called Golden Apple. Over here it is grown as a shrub, I don't think it gets up to tree height but the trunks can get quite thick. I assume it is a variety originally imported from the Orient along with Asian Pear.

I don't recall seeing anyone using any variety of Apple or Pear on a knife so I am really looking forward to seeing what Mr Johnson can do with it!

Roger
Old 08-02-2001, 01:52 AM
srjknives

I'll have to post pics later. Got one or two at the show.

Thanks for the Quince information. I sold the knife, so might have to beg a photo from the owner.

Got to meet Alex, for a minute. Nice fellow!

Look elsewhere for the fighter pic and the Talonite winner.

The show waas "pretty" good. I think it'll take a year or so to get back to the old crowds.

It did feel good to be back in Orlando. Wrm, but good.

I saw some awsome knives.

I hear, as usual, that some did great, some not so great with sales. I brought the two back. Teh fighter and the Loveless-style Drop with D.I. I feel good about the show.

The hotel it pretty out of sight, both in facilities adn price!

Got to meet Mike Smith and Ken Davis, local knifemakers. Mike, as you know, is, "One of the worlds greatest knifemakers." (It says so on his card). After this week, I agree! Just look at his folders.

Ken showed me some nice hunters of his. He's a local police officer with some obvious talent in the knifemaking field.

Met Mr. Blackwood at the show. Very nice young man.

Also, K.C. Knives, was it Ken? Thanks for dropping by the table. Who else came by? It's too late to remember everyone. Oh, got to meet Reece Wieland. What a guy, as I'm learning. So generous and helpful to all.

Not to forget the honor of meeting Rade Hawkins. What a gentleman.

Great show, well run, in my opinion, and will be greater as we get back into the groove there.

Also got to work in the Doggett and Wieland knife shops. They are great men. Bob's wife, Brenda, is the BEST cook!! Katy Lewis and Whiskers are very kind and patient with visiting Utahns. Thanks for a wonderful visit!

I'm stoked after this trip, let me tell you!

Old 08-02-2001, 11:08 AM
Neil Blackwood

I DID have fun!!

Although I wish I could have spent a full second day at the show, I still enjoyed it ALOT!! It was great meeting you and seeing your work.

Neil
Old 08-03-2001, 09:19 PM
srjknives

Re: I DID have fun!!

Thank you, Neil. Good to see you.

You know, if one likes knives, and attends the Guild Show, there aint no way he's not going to have a lot of fun!

Thanks for stopping by.

Tags
forge, knife, knives