MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 10-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Steel Addict

Next Ga . Knifemakers Guild Meeting

Hello , i hope all is going well with everyone . I just wanted to let everyone know that the next Ga Knifemakers Guild meeting will be on Nov . 8 in Columbus down at Don Tommeys shop . We will have several demo's going on at the same time thru out the day , so you can check out which one most interest you . As always we will have the Iron in the hat to help pay for lunch , so bring an item for that .
For detailed directions to Dons shop , and other info concerning this meeting , check out the Ga guild web site . Info should be posted in a couple days . Come expecting to have a good time , spend time with some friends , and plan on eating goooood !!
Everyone is welcome , you don't have to be a member , or a maker to attend .
If you have any questions , let me know . Scott

Last edited by Scott Davidson; 10-08-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Skilled

If you think that you will be able to make the meeting please let either me, Scott or Don know. It will help Don plan for lunch. A reply here will work as usual.

I will post some information on the demonstrations Don has planned in a day or so. It is in my shop computer which is not working at this time. The knife that will be raffled off for the John Poythress Scholarship Fund was donated by Will Dutton. I will also post a picture of it when the shop computer comes back up, so check back often. The knives that have been generously donated by our members are outstanding knives that anyone would be proud to own. If you would like to donate a knife to be used for this very worth while cause please see either me or Scott at the meeting. It would be good if you could bring the knife with you to the meeting. That way we can get a picture of it posted on the forums prior to the February meeting.

This meeting will follow the same routine as usual with the Board meeting beginning at 8:00 and the general membership meeting beginning by 9:00 or 9:15. The demonstrations will follow along with lunch and the iron in the hat raffle and the JPSF raffle.

If you haven't visited Don's shop in the past you are in for a real treat. Don has a way with equipment and plans on demonstrating some of it along with some special jigs he uses in making his knives. This will be a visit to a great shop that you don't want to miss.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 AM

Scott/Harry
I took the liberty of posting the information on the Bladeforums - Shoptalk with a link to the Guild website for further information. (So....try to get Jamey to copy/move any pertinant info posted here to the Guild site as well.)

Everyone
Sounds great - and I second Harry's comment on Don's shop and abilities. Not to be missed.
Also Will makes a really nice knife so don't miss out on a chance to take it home with you.
I'm planning on being there, unless something gets in the way.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-09-2008, 08:26 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
The information has been posted.

If you want the directions automatically emailed to you, send a blank email to meetings@georgiaknifemakersguild.com

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, as I have a brand new baby girl due to be born on November 9th, and I don't want to be in Columbus when I get that call that says "It's time!!!"...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 PM

JAMIE:

We're sorry to miss you over here in Columbus, Jamey, but your excuse is as good as it gets. CONGRATULATIONS!

EVERYONE:

The Columbus boys are getting pretty excited about seeing everyone for the November 8th meeting. The Steel and Fire has good directions so there are no other excuses not to be here.

Although I have to say, it may be tough for you all to decide who to watch demonstrating ... James Mitchell scrimshawing and engraving or Don Tommey revealing his secrets of making curved dovetail bolsters. And if you haven't seen (or used) a water cooled belt or 9 inch horizontal sander, you are in for a treat. NO HEAT and NO DUST.

See ya'll in November,
Dave Roberts, Columbus, Georgia
Brand new GCKG voting member
Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Skilled

Dave thanks for the updates on the demos. My computer is still down at the shop and all my information is in it. I understand it will recover but it is taking some time in healing.

The directions are good and gas is cheaper than it has been in six months and at least around here that seems to be plenty of it. This is going to be a meeting that you don't want to miss. Hope to see every one there. Check back to see a picture of the JPSF knife and please respond if you are going to make the meeting so Don will know how to plan for lunch. For me....I wouldn't miss it.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Skilled

This knife has been donated to the Georgia Guild by Will Dutton to be used in the raffle to generate funds for the John Poythress Scholarship Fund. It has a 3.5 inch blade, that is mirror polished and hollow ground. The handle scales are purple heart with red liners. The tang is tapered. The guard, pin and thong hole liner are stainless steel. It comes with a tooled leather sheath. This is a very well made little hunter that some lucky individual at the meeting in Columbus will get to call their own.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Just curious Dave, what's wrong with a little heat?

Well, someone's going home with a nice little knife. Hope it's me.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-17-2008, 07:14 AM

Hey, Carl:

Sorry, I meant to say, "HEAT is good" as long as it's not burning my fingers.

Harry and everyone:

Over here on the west coast of Georgia, gas was 2.93 this morning, the 17th, but OPEC is probably going to hold an emergency meeting, so look out.

Dave Roberts
Old 10-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Steel Addict

Hello , i hope everyone is sending an email to Don Tommey to let him know who is planning to be at the Columbus meeting . Please if you have not already done this , please do so , it helps to have a good # to have an ideal how much food to fix . As always if you decide to come at the last minute , come on . Gas prices are down so theres little reason not to attend . Its only a short drive , well worth the trip for the wealth of information you will receive . Thanks SCOTT

Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 AM

I am somewhat computer illerate. Need directions to Nov. Meeting. I already e-mailed Scott that I planned to come. My e-mail address is dunnc22@hughes.net.
Thanks
Charles Dunn
Old 11-02-2008, 12:53 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Charles,

I'll send you those directions in just a few minutes.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Skilled

Time is getting short for this meeting, so let Don know something if you are planning on attending or gas station cuisine ( beanie weenies and saltines) might be what you get. Don't forget to bring something for the iron in the hat, a folding chair comes in handy at most of these meetings and CASH for the ?iron in the hat? drawing and the John Poythress Scholarship Fund. Remember the person that benefits from the scholarship could be you and the more tickets you buy the higher your chance of taking home Will?s knife.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:49 AM

It's getting close, folks! Don and the Columbus boys are just about ready for everyone this Saturday. Well, if it ain't done by now it just won't get done. In any event, the food is in the pot, the weather looks good, and the demos are ready to go except for me lugging my water-equipped Bader over to Don's Shop, tomorrow. I painted it last night so it would be purdy for everyone. Don even scrubbed his shop floor. BTW, Gas was 2.18 this morning coming in to work.

We're looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday, so COME ON!

Dave Roberts
Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered

I'll bring my own lunch, but I need directions to this, if someone could email those to me before tomorrow morning that'd be great :]

phelpsbladeworks@gmail.com

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives