MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Profile question.

Once I cut all I can with the hack saw, how do I finish doing the curves? I have heard varying things about using a bench grinder due to the heat it creates but that seems like he most likely option. I am a newb at this and it took me longer than expected with the hacksaw! Been going at it for about 4 hours now!
Old 06-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That's what a good 2x72" belt sander is for but I understand you wouldn't have that just yet. The bench grinder should do it but it will be noisy, dirty and slow. An angle grinder would be a better choice if you have one or even a big rasp will get the job done. There is nothing in knife making that can't be done by hand, power equipment just makes things go faster ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy2532 View Post
Once I cut all I can with the hack saw, how do I finish doing the curves? I have heard varying things about using a bench grinder due to the heat it creates but that seems like he most likely option. I am a newb at this and it took me longer than expected with the hacksaw! Been going at it for about 4 hours now!
This exactly...I just finished my first rough profile as well and it took me the same amount of time. I am using files to clean everything up and it seems to be going fine. So in case you don't have any tools a couple files will run you 10 bucks.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Skilled

Goldenboy2532...Doing stock removal, there isn't really an easy way to do it. Any way you look at it, you have to remove metal...and that is going to be work intensive.
Forging, if you have an anvil, forge, tongs, and a hammer can be much faster, easier, more fun, and probably not as dirty. It also is not as wasteful of the steel, since you are simply moving metal around as opposed to removing it, but without the listed tools, forging is probably not an option, however, without a forge, you must send your work out to be HT. With a forge, you can do your own HT, so for me, a forge is a must have tool.
Knifemaking is all about mastering the steel, and making it have the attributes you want it to have. With stock removal, you can maybe make it look like you want it to look, but without proper HT, it will not function well as a knife. Even a piece of lead can be sharpened, but it cannot hold it's edge. The same with steel. Even good knife steel...if not properly HT...will not perform well as a knife.
There is much to learn beyond simply profiling the blade.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 PM

I found using a hacksaw very slow until I bought some decent blades. Also use some cutting fluid and you will saw twice as fast

Tags
angle, anvil, bee, blade, easy, edge, files, forge, hammer, hand, knife, knife making, make, steel, stock removal, tools