MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

Stingray skin; how do I...?

I have this stingray skin that I want to make a sheath from, but it is very thin and supple.

My idea is to make an inner sheath from thinner leather for reinforcement and sturdiness, and then cover the inner sheath with the stingray hide.
I think the best way would be to partially wet form the liner sheath, then glue the ray skin over the curved, partially-formed leather. Will that work? Can you wet-form stingray? It is a fish, soooo... it must be waterproof, right ???

Now,the questions...
1. when the glue is dry, can the two layers of the sheath be fully wet-formed to better fit the knife?

2. What is the best glue to use on a project such as this?

3. Is it necesary to stitch the stingray to the base leather all around, to avoid future separation?

Thanks, all.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Hall of Famer

I did something similar with snake skin. I cut the blank for a pouch sheath from 4-5oz veg tanned leather and glued a piece of the snake skin to it with a latex base glue, which was chosen because of it's flexability. After the glue cured overnigh, I trimmed to snake skin to the leather blank and then sewed on the belt loop and glued the welt as one would normally do. After it was all glued together, I laced the edge of the pouch. If I was going to sew the pouch I would have cut a frame out of 1-2oz leather and glued that over the snake skin leather before assembling the sheath and sewed through it. That makes a better looking sheath and would help prevent the thin decorative leather from pealing away at the edge. As to you question about whether a fish skin leather is water proof-no. You might want to treat the inside of the sheath with a conditioner just as a precaution against any chemical used to tan the ray skin leather from leaching through and effecting the knife blade. It is also best not to store a knife blade in a sheath.
IMG_0041.jpg
Above is the snake skin covered sheath that I made.

Doug Lester

Old 11-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

Attachment 11124
Above is the snake skin covered sheath that I made.

Doug Lester[/QUOTE]

thats a great looking sheath Doug! i have been curious about using exotic skins for a long time!
good info guys!

[www.cjsknives.com
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Enthusiast

A bit tardy, but here's what I did.

Cut the sheath, glued the gusset, wet formed the 6 oz. leather interior over a curve, glued the cut out Stingray hide over the slightly pre-formed interior. Drilled/stitched/glued the belt loop and the rest of the holster, stitched all around, starting at the top opening. Sanded/slicked the edges, wet moulded the sheath to the knife. Finished the edges. Not as tight as a single piece of leather, but plenty secure.

If/when I do it again, I will use more glue; it is flexible, and after curing, allows water forming really well. I now have a beautiful, durable sheath, and a handsome knife.

Tags
blade, holster, knife, sheath