MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 12-11-2004, 02:33 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to paradiggum
Rat Trap

Well I've had my Rat Trap for almost a week now. I've had the prototype since Blade in Atlanta and although there are differences they are more the same than different. As you've probably seen the coil has shrunk quite a bit. This helps functionality since some that had the protos thought the choil caused the blade to catch on different materials. I spoke with someone at Shomer-Tec about this for a bit. They put the proto through it's paces where I really didn't. I will say that not having the choil is probably a good thing but I kind of liked how it looked. It changed the lines of the knife. Function over form though I always say.
The one thing I liked about the proto over the production model is that the proto had more of a cut out for your thumb to engage the liner. I would imagine they made this smaller to avoid accidental disengagement of the liner. Being a southpaw it is just easier for me to manipulate with the larger cutout on the scales. Don't get me wrong it's certainly not hard to close the production version. Just better for me with more of the liner exposed.
The Rat Trap certainly came shaving sharp. Very very sharp indeed. The action is super smooth. I've accumulated many folders over the years. This is possibly the smoothest I've owned. Lock up is vault like. A definite click is heard when the liner engages. I do prefer tip up carry but this has been addressed on the Swamp Rat forum as to why they chose not to have that as an option.
The biggest thing I will have to get used to is the size of this folder. Now, it's not a huge folder and it is quite thin. Just keep in mind I've been carrying a Spyderco Delica since 1998 so this thing is a monster compared to my little Delica. It rides well in my front pocket and I'm happy to say you can move the clip for left handed carry. I just notice it because it's longer. It's not uncomfortable it's more that feeling you have if you walk out without your wallet where you usually carry it. Not uncomfortable just noticable. That will fade with time as I get used to it.
Delivery time was excellent. Heh, I got it at a show. I gave Mike Wood the money and instantly I had the folder. (Actually I was holding it before I handed him the money) Wow! How is that for service. Pre-delivery, although only by seconds.
Since I've replaced my EDC Delica with it I've used it for mundane tasks such as letter opening and tape cutting. I even cut one of those annoying wrist bands they give you if your over 21 in a bar. Excellent performance.
OK I'll stop. This is getting silly.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:52 AM

I haven't looked around, but I'm pretty sure if you posted some pics of yours (preferably proto alongside the production model for comparison) they'd be the FIRST RatTrap pics on KnifeNetwork

When I first saw the proto pics on RatChat I was a little disappointed to find that they'd gone with a linerlock instead of a framelock, but everyone seems to feel that SRKW has done an outstanding job with the lockup and action. Of course time and use will tell if the RatTrap will become a favorite among the folder community (there are a LOT of good folders out ther today), but initial reports tell me that there are few folders in this price range that will be able to compete one on one. And of course there's the SRKW lifetime guarantee

I'm already holding 2 orders for belt sheaths, this should be fun

Mike

Old 12-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to paradiggum
Yeah, I'll get some pics taken if I can. I'm currently cameraless. I hope to remedy that this weekend.

I look forward to that "other" company's folder to hit the market. That's a sout little folder. :cool:

I'll wait until I've carried this knife for a while before I pass final judgement on it.
So far it looks like a winner.

Old 12-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Registered

Well, paradiggum, I also carried a Delica for a couple of years and if this were the Spydie forum I would sing it's praises but after I accumulated so many different folders I continuously swapped EDC folders for a few years also.

The design, lockup, smooth action and razor edge of the Rat Trap are of fine custom level. I can think of times I could carry it but I'm not in the field as much as I used to be so mine wouldn't have seen as much action as it could have in the past. Plus I have the numbered one so it will now stay fresh and crispy in my safe.

Tags
blade, knife, knives