MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Skilled

Problems with Holstex

The sheath on the left is Kydex, and the sheath on the right is Holstex.

I've made 20+ sheaths from kydex with no problems. It's almost fool proof.

I've now made 3 sheaths with holstex and had nothing but problems. Actually I've made 5 but 2 went in the trash.

The clear want's to crack and chip.

The black gave me no end of problems with it getting gooey and sticking to it's self before it was even warm enough to work. It doesn't seem to have the "memory" like Kydex. With Kydex if I don't like the shape or position of the knife in the sheath I simply reheat and it returns to it's original shape. The holstex would not do that. I had to throw 2 pieces away yesturday. You can see that even the one I finished does not have a uniform color or Texture. Am I doing something wrong? Does Holstex require different techniques to get it to look decent?

Or is there a problem with my Holstex material? Looking at the Clear I lean in that direction.

Too bad because the Holstex has better colors and patterns.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast

Yes the Mirage is definatly more brittle Ive had it shatter even when deeply scored I only use Mirage if its for effect on a more presentation sheath as scratches inside show and only cut with a bandsaw not score and bend

black Holstex seems more flexible than Kydex but that may be a mis perception

Havent used the black Hlolstex yet but have used the CF black and CF/textured Green they work fine maybe heat up slower
Defiantly use a Laser thermometer and be constant with temps etc I mould at 310 deg F for the Kydex and make sure the mould foam is at 77deg F

and I pre heat kydex above my oven before taking up to final heat

the Sheaths you show the Holstex has formed better defintion
Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Registered

Yeah I've had to score the Holstex Mirage all the way through to keep it from spider webbing like that. Another thing I've had problems with is the Mirage sticking to the foam.. even when preheated it stuck to it.. Any ideas on how to combat that?

Tags
abs, boltaron, concealex, holster, holstex, how to, knife, kydex, made, make, material, plastic, sheath, sheaths, throw