MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 PM

Fitting in a spring

I need some advice on putting a spring in. I put together the DDR3-BL from Knife Kits and used their MAXX spring which fits very nicely. Recently I tried to put in their MEGA spring which won't fit in the given space. Since the wire is larger diameter the coils are too high when stacked and keep the knife from being assembled properly.

I don't have a lot of tools, i.e. no drill press for example, to allow me to do much in the way of modification. But, I would like to this "super" spring if possible.

I'd appreciate any ideas you might have.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Registered

Hello! I too am putting an automatic spring in a DDR3-BL.......you said you had tried the Maxx Spring....did you like it? Was it the .375? Did you have to modify any, or was it just a matter of swaping parts? Thanks for your time......Granger
Old 05-13-2007, 08:01 PM

Hi Granger,
Yes I like the Maxx Spring...............it was .375. No need for any modification. if you go the MEGA torque you will need to modify the bolster. The spring needs to sit deeper into the bolster.

I haven't done that yet, but may try with another kit knife.

Have fun.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Skilled

Vaoor, is there a way to use a dremel bit to carve out a deeper relief in the bolster? It's been a while since i put one together but it seems like you should be able to do this.

Oh, if you put this in the knifekits forum you'll probably get more ansewers. Anything that has to do with the kit knives will get lots of feedback over there. Let us know what you come up with.

Bill
Old 05-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Bill, I have checked and yes, there is a way to dremel out the material, but I haven't tried it as of yet. I will need to get some more grinding bits for the dremel. Lately I've been chewing up my bits on one of the hunting knife kits.

Question: does anyone else make better quaility grinding bits than the dremel kits? But, they would need to fit a dremel since that is the only grinder I have.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 AM

You need to use a c'bore or an end mill to make the cavity deeper.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM

i have ruined 3 sets of boslters trying to make the MEGA spring fit and then gave up and used a .020 brass shimstock to create a backspacer between the frame and bolsters/handle, and the MEGA spring has so much torque that i have to squeeze the blade into the handle before i push the button, or I cant push the button far enough to make the blade release.

if you come up with an idea that works, post it cuz i want that mega spring to work, it will jar the knife out of your hand if you dont have a good grip on it

Tags
blade, brass, hunting knife, knife, knives, post, switchblade