MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Skilled

Don you might want to stay in Bryan for awhile. It is going to be a little windy in Katy come early Sat. morning.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Guru

I have enough rum to ride it out here.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Best wishes to you and yours, Don. Hope the storm doesn't do too much damage.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Guru

We just got our power back on. It went down around 5 am. Looked like transformers started bucking about then and the grid went off. We only hit 70-75 sustained with 95 mph gusts. The storm veered North and followed the ship channel so we caught the western edge and didn't get any eyewall issues. All we had was small branches, a few shingles and one broken window. taking a dog out to pee at 4am in 70 mph winds was interesting. That acorn will leave a mark for a while!

My parents, on the other hand didn't fare so well. They live in Clear Lake and lost a couple trees. Luckily, the rear eyewall did the damage and the wind direction knocked everything away from the house. The people across the street took everthing into the houses, though. I'll probably go down Monday to help out when my parents get in.

Time to fire up the forge! I almost lit it up around 5am just to get some good video/pics for fun...but the wind direction had changed a bit and everything in the front of the garage would have been drenched.

Haw'd ya'll come out up in the Woodlands area? Of course, if you don't have power, I guess yo won't be reading this!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Skilled

Well I am all the way up in Longview. The storm pretty much went right over us. But we lost power at 2 Sat. afternoon, just before the game started, and we still do not have any power. Looks like yall did better than us. The last I talked to the power company the said "we should have you back on no later than noon Friday." Ain't that just great.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Just got power up today. No power at work, so at least it gave me a few days to clean up the mess. Neighborhood was a mess with lots of down trees and such, but nobody hurt and that's all that's really important. Everyone in the neighborhood banded together and got the trees cut out of the streets and driveways.

Ike was a P.I.T.A.

Folks a quarter mile down the road were not so lucky. Streets are lined with their furniture, bedding, rugs, etc. piled up. They both flooded and got wind damage. Lines for gasoline go around the block at the few stations that are open.

FEMA has helped out by, uh, ??? Well, about as much as they usually do.

Lord did bless us with some nice, cool weather after the storm, so cleanup wouldn't be quite so miserable.

If you are prepared to go camping, you can handle the aftermath of a storm. Those of you with kids, keep that in mind. What they learn might be of great value in the future.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives