MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 PM

Mike,

the Mikro is small enough that it would make a great second to one of the busse's.

What model Busse do you reccommend for all around field work?

Mike........
Old 08-11-2004, 11:44 PM

Mike (boy am I glad this is a combined Busse/Swamp Rat Forum -- makes answering this question a lot easier !) Naturally it's a lot of individual preference, but for general taks I prefer the Swamp Rat Camp Tramp, primarily for the feel of the Resiprene handle. I've had "tennis elbow" off and on for years, and chopping with a solid handled big blade tends to flame it up. The Resiprene provides enough shock absorption that it's much easier on the old joints. And the Tramp is by no means a small knife -- capable of anything short of chopping down mature (large) trees ) I'm sure some will weigh in with a vote for the larger Rats or Busses, but you asked for MY opinion
Having said that, the new Natural Outlaw with the heavily contoured micarta handles looks great and feels as secure as any large knife I've ever held, but you'll have to get another Forumite's opinion on how it works for them. Mine has been used solely as a model for sheath making (sad to say )
BTW I haven't had a chance to use a Micro yet, but as you know I love the Mini. We're in agreement, good complements to the Busses and Rats.
Mike

Old 08-12-2004, 03:36 PM

Mr Stewart... glad to have you around, sir.

Since it appears that Mike is looking for other opinions on the best "all around" Busse/Swamp Rat, I'll throw my opinion in the ring.

Essentially, I like a blade in the 6" to 7" range for all around work. That said, every Busse I've had in that size has performed marvelously. My all time favorite, however, remains the original Steel Heart. There will likely be a Swamp Rat knife come out the fairly near future that will replace my old SH (it will be very similar in overall dimensions) but until then, the SH gets the nod.

In the same size range, the Ergo Natural Outlaw was good but I always had aesthetic issues with the blade width (I thought it was too narrow top to bottom) and I never really loved the Ergo handles. My personal bias. And since we're mentioning the NO, I haven't tried one of the SF handled versions yet, so my assessment of that knife is mostly conjecture.

And, while I agree that the Camp Tramp is a good all around knife, for my own personal tastes, I don't care for the resiprene handles. Not because I think they aren't useful, durable, and functional... but simply because I have never cared for the "plastics" and I'm not crazy about stick-type tangs for hard use. Also, I'm not real enthused about the very "forward" balance of the CT in it's original configuration. Again, this is simply a personal preference thing.

HTH

Last edited by SpearHead; 08-12-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:57 PM

Les,

Thanks for the Welcome. It's good to be here.

I am going to call Jerry and order one of the knives. I have always wanted one and now is as good a time as any.

MtMike--Will you make me a combo sheath with my Mikro?

Mike.........
Old 09-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Registered

SFNO w/ Magnum handles

I mentioned this in another post but I just got my NO w/ mangum handles and it is incredible. I think it is just the right amount of blade for me. I like the straight orientation of the handle, although I never held the E model. The only other knife of this size/construction I've held is actually a friend's Ratweiler. I would have a hard time picking between them. The RW also has a comfy and versatile handle. The more I hold this magnum handled NO, the more I like it and the happier I am that I upgraded. This handle offers several confortable holds as well. The swell in the middle of the handle fills your palm nicely, the forward swell fills your palm when you are choked up and when held at the rear for chopping, the middle swell makes a nice thumb hold. There is no way this knife would twist in your hand and the canvas micarta offers great traction in my hand. Time will tell if this traction is a little too much during heavy use. I don't think so. If there were any current Busse offerings with the SF handles I think it would be worth a thread of its own :cool:

Last edited by Dunner; 09-25-2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to leatherbender Send a message via MSN to leatherbender Send a message via Yahoo to leatherbender
Uh Mike, whats a Bark River? :confused: is it some covert INFI that Jerry hasnt let us know about yet?

Old 09-25-2004, 11:11 PM

Hey Dwayne -- glad to see the South American contingent has arrived ("Say Man", Bo Diddley, 1959).
Yes, the little Bark River 'Mini Canadian' is a really fine shop knife for workingon leather for all those big ol' Busses and Rats. Of course it would be even nicer if I could get mine back from Chuck Nope, not INFI, bu really nicely ground A2. If youhaven't tried one...

Mike Stewart !! Sorry buddy, I didn't see your post about a double for your Mikro and your new Busse --whch one did you order? Of course, I'd be glad to do a combo sheath for you -- PM on the way !

Mike

Old 09-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to leatherbender Send a message via MSN to leatherbender Send a message via Yahoo to leatherbender
oooooh! A2!! Sweeet! Might go a huntin!

Tags
blade, knife, knives