MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Skilled

Attempting Stock Removal

Well... so far I've built three knives from blanks and also a DDR-3 folder (which I really enjoyed!). The more I do this... the more I want to learn. I'd like to try stock removal and create something that I can call "my own". I'm still studying the process and promise to have a few questions if I can't find the answers in the 'search' feature.
Nothing fancy.... I'm kinda old fashioned so I went with a Nessmuck style of my own design.
I'm close to finishing my sketching and template.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Looks good. If you carry the grind further up the blade the knife will slice better. Now, just cut out the profile and then mark a center line on the edge and file the sides down to the line. Drill some holes, send it to HT, clean it up, attach the handle. What could be simpler?

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Skilled

Thank you Ray! I will take you advice regarding a longer grind and also the center line. As far as "what could be simpler?"... well a lot of things, lol. This will test my filing skills, attention to detail, and patience I'm sure. I still have a lot to learn and a lot to practice. Probably a few more tools wouldn't hurt either. I may need a better file before I tear into this one.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Steel Addict

If you are doing it all with hand files, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into getting a file guide or making one yourself if you can.

Very cool design, good luck!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Skilled

Thanks, I will look into getting a file guide for sure. After cutting this template I realized that the handle was too short so I added another 3/4" to the tang and changed the shape a little. All I have for removal is a hacksaw with bi-metal blade and a coping saw. Hopefully that should suffice with a little elbow grease. I'm planning to clean up my cuts with the rotary tool or 6" bench grinder from there being careful not to heat the metal in the process. Right? ... or should I be sticking with the file for that as well?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Skilled

Raising the grind is not a bad idea. If you do so you will also taper the edge of the point. I think that will serve you well too.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Skilled

Here is my redesign with a larger handle and raised grind.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Steel Addict

Give it a shot. Cut it out of a paint stick or cardboard and see how it feels in your hand.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Skilled

After attempting removal with the hacksaw and watching a few youtube vids... I am going to use my angle grinder and metal cutting disc for the profiling.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Enthusiast

I wish you were closer to my shop in Tn. I could help you with your grinding and heat treating needs. I am one of the mentors for the Knifemakers Guild and would be happy to help Bob Levine
Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob levine View Post
I wish you were closer to my shop in Tn. I could help you with your grinding and heat treating needs. I am one of the mentors for the Knifemakers Guild and would be happy to help Bob Levine
Bob, thank you... that is mighty generous and it would be an honor. Nothing beats hands-on instruction! Unfortunately, yes I'm a long way from you. I'm a long way from most everywhere. I will be sending this away for HT if it turns out ok. If you offer a HT service I'm more than happy to pay you for your services if that's an option.
I have cut my rough profile with the angle grinder and it went well. I'm now in the process of getting it closer to my profile line using my 6" bench grinder (stone wheels). When I get close enough with that, I plan on using the Mill file(s).
I can post a picture shortly. I haven't had any problems............. yet.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Skilled

Here's where I'm at...

Removed most of the stock with the 4" angle grinder

Now at he bench grinder

Last edited by rockhound; 08-06-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Master

Angle grinders are awesome. With enough practice you'll be cutting it right up to that scribed line flawlessly. I'm probably not much closer but if you make your way west to AZ I'll be glad to help as well. I'm no mentor but I'll share all I've learned.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Skilled

Thanks Eli! Angle grinders are indeed an awesome tool. I know I have several thousand hours of using them throughout my career. I could have definitely cut it closer but I didn't want to push things on my first try at this.
I have a quick rookie question.... to quench or not to quench while I'm doing this profiling? I did not do any quenching thus far. I backed off when I figured it was getting too hot and then returned to cutting when things cooled down. It entered my mind that quenching might possibly have an adverse effect. Id like this to remain as soft as possible until sending to HT.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Master

I don't quench when profiling, I use a vise and let it aircool. I do dunk it when grinding bevels but dunk it often enough that it doesn't get hotter than 400-500F aka no discoloration from heat.

Tags
advice, angle, awesome, blade, design, drill, edge, file, files, folder, grinding, hand, handle, instruction, knife, knives, make, making, mentor, paint, post, stock removal, stone, tang, tools