MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 01-13-2003, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Photo Hosting

Yes, we are working that out now. I know that I've been promising it for a while, but we wanted to do some new server upgrades that will coincide with our new AV site and cp upgrade rollout later this month or early next.

I'm never going to authorize direct image and file uploading to the db running this forum. That's a great convenience feature, but a bad move from a growth and speed standpoint. I know of one forum right now that is about to come unglued from this effect and another that will follow it shortly after. There is a much better solution, albeit it will require more understanding from it's users (ftp and image linking), and this is the solution that we're going to introduce here shortly for users who want to be able to post their images anywhere on the net, not only this forum. That's another big issue.

The advantage that we have is that we already own the servers that run this system. We have bandwidth and storage redundancy to the extreme. However, I also understand how a forum script accesses its db, and this is where the large binary files in the tables lead to trouble over time ... with multiple simultaneous requests going on at peak usage.

-------------------
I have another issue which needs your input ...
-------------------

I've been asked by certain makers, dealers and suppliers to allow them to have their own personal forums on our system, which link from their sites and would offer them a meeting place for their customer base. To this point, we have not allowed this to become the rule. The personal boards that we have now were setup in the beginning and will always be here as long as these same individuals want to maintain them. This offer was made in the beginning to all 15 CKD Founding Members. This is the CKD's way of rewarding these few people for being with us from the start, risking their reputations to help us anchor this community when it was new and unthrottled. That was 3 years ago.

I am considering allowing this on a paid basis, along with additional banner and display advertising on the 2-3 sites which anchor this system. I think it's important to create a revenue source for the CKD system in general, as this will fund our budget for future growth and expansion of the collective sites. This money will become necessary to finance any position battles that we may want to begin waging, on the merits of the next update/release. This can also have a very positive effect for those of us who use the web (and the CKD) as a primary marketing tool.

What are your thoughts on this?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-14-2003, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast

Just an idea

Alex,
I would like to see a library that would contain all knife making information available in the form of books, video/CD and perhaps where one might purchase them. Seems that when new ones are released then they are only found by accident. I have made knives for many years but still like to learn from and see what and how other makers are working.

Best Regards,
R. Ramsey
Old 01-14-2003, 10:27 AM

Re: Photo Hosting

Quote:
Originally posted by CKDAdmin
-------------------
I have another issue which needs your input ...
-------------------
What are your thoughts on this?
Sounds like a good business plan to me. I have no problem with it. For whatever reason, these 'individual businesses' forums that are on the other sites are my LEAST frequented area's though. That's just me.

RE: Photo hosting
Offer a low-cost/easy storage opportunity and you'll have ALL the forumites signing up. Ours and them...

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Skilled

Seems reasonalbe, however similar sites on other forums either become groupie hang-outs where you had better love that maker or else. Either that or it becomes a bashing site (both directions love it or hate it). Hope fully the more mature attitude here at CKD will limit that.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 01-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Steel Addict

I wouldn't mind getting to see 2 new things on the site.

One would be a new forum to discuss shows, more particularly upcoming shows. I've noticed that questions about shows get spread all over from the Folder area to General to the Community. An example would be that there is a show coming up in Atlanta I believe in June and this will be my first to visit, so I want to ask who will be there so I can pay my respects, but I don't know where to post it. Also it would be possible for a show sponsor to get on and give details and advertise to us when and where.

Num two would be something I don't no if too many people would care about, but on a the listing for a thread in a forum, maybe under the thread starters name, have the date the thread was started. You know when some one posts a reply the thread is bumped to the top of the forum list. Sometimes I may not be interested in reading much more about and sometimes the subjects don't give much detail, so I don't know if it's old or new one that I haven't read.

Just my 2-pennies, Thanks

A baby's father
Some mother's son

Last edited by mikec; 01-22-2003 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:45 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Just a thought...

but I've seen a lot of questions lately regarding the creation, updating, and maintenance of websites. Could there be a forum devoted to helping people solve their website problems? Maybe that belongs in the Computer Center forum, but if not, I'll volunteer to help moderate that forum.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-23-2003, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

How about a website/computer forum sub forum like the sheath gallery is to the sheath forum???

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:55 AM
Skilled

Re: Photo Hosting

Quote:
Originally posted by CKDAdmin

I'm never going to authorize direct image and file uploading to the db running this forum. That's a great convenience feature, but a bad move from a growth and speed standpoint. I know of one forum right now that is about to come unglued from this effect and another that will follow it shortly after.
That very prudent and I agree completely. There are ways round it though. I use photopost at BritishBlades and it runs entirely from a separate database to the forums. I use the forums database for access permissions only, but all the binary files are kept on a photopost directory (actually, the bianaries are not stored on the db, but in a sub folder of the forums, the dedicated photopost db just indexes them). It doesnt and will never affact the speed and functionality of the forums. If bandwidth or storage become an issue (I have 500Mb storage and 12Gb bandwidth) then I can lock down/delete/wipe the photopost database and sub directories. I could completely remove it, without afecting the forums at all. Not that I would need to do this, but it illustrates the separate nature of the software. It works well, I've coded a sort of "integrated" functionality, which makes it very user friendly, but keeps it separate at the same time. I cant see any practical problems with this option, especially if you are not bandwidth/storage limited.

BTW, did you know that vBulletin 3.0 is in the piblic beta release.
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/index.php
It's the biggest upgrade/release there has been to the forum software for a very long time and boasts many new features, including an excellent archiveing system. It will be released as a "final" package sometime over the next couple of months. I dont know if you plan 9on "themeing" the CKD forums, but if so, it's probably worth factoring in this new release.

Cheers.

Last edited by Martyn; 01-23-2003 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Martyn,

I agree with what you're saying, totally. I like the photo posting software, too. I'm not actually sure that it's the best solution for my vision of the future, though. I really do like the integration of the photos with the CMS system running your boards. It looks very nice and very professional. You did a nice job of modifying that skin.

This forum, in its current state, does around 20GB per month in data transfer. The server that it's on now has dual 9's, so storage for the primary forum db is not a factor at this time.

I'm moving more in the direction of providing individual user photo posting accounts which will be forum server independent. In this way, I can provide a nice suite of user tools, and e-mail address or two for the end user, the ability to have a few site pages if needed and to better provision the load around my network to maintain even resource usage. I think the best long term decision is to offer more expandability, and or/upgradability, both for the network and the end user.

We'll present some ideas here very soon that I think will serve us all in the immediate, and the long term future. I'm lucky in a sense in that we've been at this for a while now, building to this point in development. What we have now is a get-me-by solution, so to speak. This has been buying us time for development of the next package rollout. I wish I had more time to devote to getting it done quickly, but time is a hard thing to come by any more ... we're on it though.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
knife, knife making, knives