MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 AM

The Knife Makers Toolkit

I thought it would be best to spin off a new thread to talk about the knife makers toolkit. The question was brought up in another thread.

The Knife Makers Toolkit can be found here

So I was curious enough last night to take one for the team and spend the 10 bucks to download the Knife Makers Tool Kit to check it out.

I consider myself computer literate since it is my lively-hood, but I found the website confusing. One hand they heavily tout about designing knives for free, and on the other hand they want (originally 29.99) $10 buck to download the knife designers toolkit. My question was that if I can design knives for free (they told me so, remember) why would I want to plunk down my cash? Well, let me tell you...

What you are getting in the knife makers toolkit is a collection of knife blade, handle, rulers, pins, etc images to use with the freely available open source drawing application called "Inkscape"
I believe these elements are to be imported into Inkscape and utilized to facilitate in creating knives within Inkscape. I'm at the point now of trying to figure out how to use what I purchased as there is no documentation included with it that I can see. There are some videos on their website, but I've watched 2 of them so far and neither one says anything about how to use the knife makers toolkit and Inkscape together. I'll keep playing and report back with any ah ha! moments.

So far, I'm glad that I didn't have to pay the original price of $29.99 because at this point I don't feel it would have been worth it. My opinion my change on this once I discover how to fully use what I bought.

Stay Tuned!

Last edited by MT Pockets; 09-02-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Skilled

Your initial thoughts on the product echo my reasoning for not purchasing it... basically a complex interface designed to create a simple drawing.
I'm an old-school draftsman and still use my drafting table occasionally. I've struggled over the years with various CAD programs (not for knifemaking, mind you) and have always wound up back at my drafting table. I'm very good at drafting and not bad with computer software BUT when it comes to drawing/designing I am faster and still feel more comfortable with the old technology. The end product of a CAD drawing feels cold and impersonal to me.

I have no doubt that once the interface of the Knifemakers Toolkit is mastered by the user it is a fast and useful tool but after test-driving many CAD programs over the years (mech and architectural) it bears the same hallmarks of those... too much complexity for what the user is attempting to achieve.
Call me old fashioned... I can take it.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 AM

Old fashioned...ok just kidding

I wish that I was good at drawing, but that fact is I stink at it. That's why typically I tend to gravitate towards technology, otherwise I would spend more time erasing than creating.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Has anyone here tried SketchUp. It is free and 3D.

Bob
Old 09-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You're old fashioned? I was a systems analyst for 30 years, own some CAD programs and even a micro CNC mill but when it comes to designing knives it's really difficult to beat a pencil and paper. My one concession to modern technology where knife designing is concerned is that I use a mechanical pencil instead of a good ol' No. 2 ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
My one concession to modern technology where knife designing is concerned is that I use a mechanical pencil instead of a good ol' No. 2 ....
Funny! I couldn't find my favorite mech pencil on my last drawing (Nessy) and used a No. 2 without thinking twice.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 PM

Absolutely, me too! I do most things these days without thinking twice. In fact, I rarely even think once before doing most things. That can lead to some very entertaining situations let me tell you ....

Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 PM

If I was good at it, I think I would lean more towards the old school pencil and paper. Who knows I may give it another try.

Do you fella's that draw your knives old school, is it all/mostly free hand or do you use other tools such as straight edges, circle tools etc.?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:24 PM

I use a straight edge and draw on graph paper. I can't draw very well either but it doesn't matter much as knives are mostly straight lines or gentle curves. I draw to get a general pattern, then cut it out and paste it to steel (or cardboard if I feel the need to test the concept). After I cut the pattern from the steel I refine the profile on the grinder until everything seems right - then I use the profile to make a more permanent pattern. Doesn't take much drawing or much time either, much faster than CAD ...

Old 09-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks MT pockets for taking one for the team, I am not so good at stuff on the computer, I'm great at google and finding stuff, but short of that.... I'm lost....

Tags
back, bee, blade, cnc, cold, design, edge, hand, handle, how to, knife, knifemaking, knives, make, pattern, pins, simple, software, steel, tools