MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 04-03-2002, 06:56 PM
JASON D

HOLLOW GRINDING

I AM HOLLOW GRINDING 1095 HIGH CARBON STEEL. HOW MUCH DO YOU FINISH THE CUTTING EDGE BEFORE YOU GO TO HEAT TREATING? SHOULD YOU FINISH THE EDGE OR LEAVE A 1/32 OR 1/64 OF AN INCH THEN FINISH GRINDING AFTER THE HEAT TREATING PROCESS? ANY HELP IN THIS STAGE OF KNIFE MAKING WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS- JASON D (A NEWBIE)
Old 04-03-2002, 07:41 PM
BOB28

Hello Jason! I would say finish it to 220 grit and leave the edge at like you stated around 1/32 or the thikness of a penny. I don't know if you know this but the reason the edge is left thick is so there is less of a chance of edge warpage durring h/t.
Please post a pic for us when you get it finished. I allways enjoy seeing new makers knives.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:07 PM
davebolton

We have lots of 1095 heat treat info on our web site but in short. Our blades are scratch free and handsanded (120 grt) before heat treat. There is very little work left but the finished grit to be appplied.

<a href="mailto:DaveBolton@Smithand...Knives.com</a>

Smith and Bolton Knives

Old 04-15-2002, 05:52 PM
J Loose

Re: 1095

Nice site...

The above link has an extra .com on it... you might want to fix it for the less computer literate out there...

Your link is www.smithandboltonknives.com

Go look at it, folks.

So, Smith and Bolton...

I see you also quench your 1095 in brine... have you had any luck with straight water or any of the professional quench media such as heatbath #50?. What thickness range do you work your 1095 in and what is the failure ( crack... if any ) rate?

I have had good luck with brine quenched 1095 and 1095 / 1020 damscus at similar temps to those you outline... I prefer to go to about 1475 on the soak and 160 on the brine.

Just curious since I really want to grok the 1095 before I move along...

Thanks!

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives