MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Bladesmithing SCAM!!

Hi Everyone!

JPH found this, and brought it my attention in a chat room......

http://www.becomeabladesmith.com/

We should all be outraged by this! According the these scammers, you can become a "#######d Master Bladesmith" in just six weeks. I checked the Whois information on the website and its hosted somewhere in VA.

Let folks know about the scam. As for me, I'm going to write them an email and ask them to detail everything I will get for my money.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Steel Addict

WOW!!!! For a simple $200 investment and 6 weeks of 'class' I can earn over $200,000 in the first year! Sign me up! I gunna be a bladesmith!

Seriously, I think I might just shoot them an email and ask them for all the details.

Who knows, it might make good fertilizer the garden.

-Mike-
Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I sent them an email last night.....asking them for contact information to some of those individuals who have taken the courses. I went on to tell them that I found their claims rather extravagant, and would like to know exactly what I would be getting for my money. We'll see if they respond.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Let's see, what was the name of the jerk that was selling members "Jelly roll" machines for like $1,500, then never delivered? This may be right up his alley. Every time I see a post where the work "Hey" is spelled "Hay", I get suspicious.
As for the claims here that Ed found, it's really sad that trash like that is invading our "family" of hard working bladesmiths. I imagine they'll actually get some money from someone that doesn't know any better. Man this sticks in my craw.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Skilled

This is the kind of crap that really gripes me. We all have worked how hard to refine what we love doing. Then along comes some low life to try to screw over some innocent hard working people. Thanks Ed for posting this thread. I'm sure that this will not last.

Bing
MLazyB
Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Steel Addict

The same "school" offers a "Web #######" and a "Spiritual Counselor #######" as well. Wouldn't want to make a website or offer a friend some advice without being #######d, now would we?

Old 07-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Skilled

Meaningless paper.

You know my grandma always used to say if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
So for giggles I went to the site and was not disappointed, it was exactly as I had expected.

Sadly yes; they do offer multiple degrees in many diverse areas. How lucky for us, honestly speaking though there are places like this in all fields taking advantage of either ignorance, laziness or both. You can buy faux Masters and Doctorate degrees too, as much as I'm killing myself for good grades, yes it grates my cheese.

But back to the site, no direct contact information, accreditation from some alphabet soup organization. Pushing reselling to the huddled masses and not an actual craft. I bet you can see their "graduates" at every flea market. Hocking those cheesy imported knives from heaven knows what third world country.

I for one am glad that you pointed this out to us Ed. What it means to us as craftsmen is we have the obligation to educate the general populace and the potential consumer alike. It is our job to help them learn so that they may make an informed decision and purchase. Rest assured though, even with this economy there will always be a market for quality.

Thats my two cents for the year.

J

Old 07-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Probably run by that same group that would register your pot belly pig as a purebred dog for the paltry some of $20. Jus' as long as I don't have to put lipstick on 'er.

Doug Lester

Old 07-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Oh, geeze!!! They are even using the terms journeyman and master for phase 2 and 3 of the "course"!!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm61
Oh, geeze!!! They are even using the terms journeyman and master for phase 2 and 3 of the "course"!!
If I read their stuff correctley a 'journeyman' ####### from them is of a higher rank than a 'master'. Curious, eh?

-Mike-
Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Enthusiast

I tried sending them an e-mail but it keeps coming back cannot find server.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Fbgraver62,

That's probably a problem with your internet connection rather than their email. When a domain name server fails (a piece of hardware out there in the net somewhere) then you can't contact the mail server or websites that might be resolved by that DNS even though other people in different locations are able to. In short, wait a few days and somebody somewhere should fix the problem...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry what I meant and should have said was "The page cannot be found," big difference. The server wasn't down computor just couldn't find the page. No big deal, don't really need to find it anyway. I thught maybe they new they'd been found out and shut that particular e-mail down or someone did it for them, I hope.

Fred
Old 07-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Of course you can't get any information. And of course their email won't work. You are not suppose to ask questions. You are supposed to be a good sheep and just pay with Paypal (yes, they are set up with PayPal) and wait for your degree to arrive in the mail.

This part should really scare people:

"I wanted my knife ####### more to buy wholesale as a collector, and protect my collection from the new wave of ban Dems taking over DC."

"Protect your knife rights! Bladesmiths are exempt from all State and Federal bans because of their profession. In fact, many Bladesmiths sell to the military, Law Enforcement, and other security forces. With global instability, terrorism and security concerns, Bladesmiths do well even in tough economic times. With the Democrats controlling DC, many more KNIFE BANS will be coming, and your cert grandfathers and protects you, your collection and your profession. PSU Bladesmith grads enhance both their collection and their business by buying wholesale the moment they are certified."

What is really hilarious is their list of benefits their "school" provides that "#2 School" doesn't provide. Did you know that you could get certified in "smith tactical" whatever the hell that means?

Digging around, I found that the "school" is PSU or Phoenix State University, which I'm sure they are hoping people will confuse with the other mail-order school, University of Phoenix, which isn't much better.

Last edited by NJStricker; 07-22-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Several other people had sent them emails and haven't reported a problem yet so it still looks like something wrong on your end to me. Even so, I imagine Armory414 is right that they don't want you asking too many questions. If the other people get answers at all it will probably be some kind of canned reply. Hopefully, time will tell...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
forge, knife, knives, made, wax