MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 PM

new shop - vent question

We are in the process of putting an addition on our house and the basement of the addition will be my new shop (15 X 30). The basement is designed NOT to be attached to any part of the forced air system of the house. This way I can keep to a minimum the amount of dust that will make itway up to the rest of the house. A number of people have asked if I am going to vent the basement. What does this mean? Do I need a permanent fan blowing or what?
Thanks for the help
Steve

Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Skilled

It sounds like they are asking about your plans for air supply & exhaust (return)

You need a means to exhaust/vent the air otherwise your space will pressurize and (other than loss from leaks) not supply any fresh air.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Master

Hello Steve.
What you are looking at are heating, air exchange, air cleaning, and possibly air conditioning. My space is about 13" X 24" X 10" high. The temperatures here are much the same as where you live , I believe. I am using a 220V heater and also have a walll mounted air conditioner. I have an exhaust sydtem for my buffer and grinders .I also have an exhaust fan with louvers about 8" high on one wall. You must exchange the air in the room when you are working. When I'm grinding and have the exhaust fan operating on the grinder, I open the louvers on the wall fan but do not start it. Air will then enter the room here. No air exchange or trying only to remove the bad air from the room will cause the room to become oxygen starved. If you work for a while in a room that has this condition , your face will start to turn red indicating you are not getting enough oxygen. The wall exhaust can be very handy to change the air by operating it abd opening a window or door. Hope this helps some. Frank