MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:26 PM

lost my grind

I finally managed to take a day off work during the week so I could work all day without interuprions. I was working on a fairly large folder in an Appletonesque type style. Well everything was going well until I tried to grind the blade. Using brand new green zirconia belts on my KMG I started grinding the blade. It simply would not behave itself. So I stopped for a minute then went back to it. Worked a bit better that time but the grind line kept creeeping up the blade and not where I wanted it. Flipped it over and started again , once again the grind line went high but at least matched the other side. Suddeny I noticed that I had a thin spot about a 1/4" from the edge. I had actually ground almost thru the blade above the edge. Poo darn. Well I went hunting in the extras bin for a piece of 5/32 stainless to try again. Luckily I found one . the last pice of 440C in 5/32 in the shop big enough for the blade. So I proceeded to cut it out, grind it flat set the lock notch, get the right placement for the lockbar so the back bar set flush. All that actually went really well. Then it was time to grind once more. I grabbed another new belt and started again. Same thing happened again. Grind was climbing, and ended up grinding thru 1/4" above the edge. I think my hands have forgotten how to grind. Either that or the "You should be at work" yips got to me. Not sure what I was doing wrong but the only other steel I have that is the right thickness is a really nice chunk of Matt Walker damascus. I need to figure this out before I ruin that.
Steve

Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Master

Hi Steve. Just sounds to me that you need to wait a day and try again say using just a piece of mild steel. It could be just too much anxiety or just a bad day to "read" the angle necessary. I had a look at your folders in your site. You certainly are progressing with your work in the folder area !!! Good stuff !!!! Frank

Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Skilled

Iv been there Steve. I don't think you lost anything just as Frank said a simple bad day. Sometimes if I'm having what seems like one of those days I slow my grinder down and really take my time. If that doesn't work I just find something else to do, after all if you could do it before you can do it again. Good luck and don't worry!

http://www.kirbysknives.com/index.php
Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Master

I also have those days. I take a few days off and spend them working on other things and usually when I come back to grinding the bevels everything is ok....although sometimes those bad days turn into bad weeks
Old 01-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Exactly what those guys said. If I'm really nervous about it I might draw the proposed grind lines on the blade as a guide so I can see if I'm travelling faster than I should.

Mark the centerline (I use two) of the blade, use an old belt to grind the square edge off the steel to the centerline. Then, with a fresh belt , start grinding at the edge area until you get a good flat (or hollow if hollow grinding) that you can feel and follow. Only then begin to move the grind up the blade towards the grind lines. I think you already know all this, just refreshing your memory.

Finally, before you risk your damascus, remember that you can get another chance to restore your confidence by simply buying another piece of steel. For $20 or so you can get enough for several more attempts ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Steve,

Maybe the shop needs to be cleaned.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:57 PM

Joe
How did you know , have yoou been sneakin round my backdoor and lookin in the shop. Just because the floor has disappeared is no reason to say I need to clean.

Actually I figured out what part of the problem was. I normally leave enough on the blade to grip it for grinding or use a set of vise grips. This time since I did not want to mar the perfectly flat surfaces I was trying to hold the little stub end with my hands while grinding. I figure this had something to do with the lack of control. Next time I will use the vise grips and see if that helps.

Steve

Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
One other possibility, Steve- if the blade you are grinding is wider than what you are used to, you might be using too small a radius on the contact wheel. The location of your thin spot leads me to believe that might be the case.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 02-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Steel Addict

Steve,
I made a handle for grinding blades, this gives great control and you don't marr your blade with the vise grips. I use a .125 diameter pivot pin to fit into the pivot hole in your blade and a screw to hold the blade onto the handle. I have an adjustable stop to fit against the blade stop. Keep up the good work, I enjoy viewing your knives. Dan
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Enthusiast

Yep Dan, that works well. I also will mark out two blades on a piece of steel with the tips at each end. Grind the blades, cut them out and then and only then cut out the tang, notch and drill. Gives me plenty to hold on to.

Mike
Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 AM
Skilled

If all else fails, try another belt. I had a similar problem a while back and the belt seemed to be the problem. Nothing strange visible on the belt but it kept grinding funny until it went into the trash. Maybe a thickening in the grit... Factory fault.

Tags
blade, knife, knives