MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Living Legend

Question What to do...

Morning guys,

Got back into the shop and ?knock out? a couple. Now I am way out of practice so there are a number of defects that are all cosmetic. I remember that a good reputation takes years to build but one knife to destroy. So I have some otherwise good knives that have some nice handle materials (pearl and kuri) that really are good enough to sell but to good to throw away or do destructive testing.

What do you do with knives that fall into this category?

Jim

Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Master

They sound like gifts to me. I actually just recently got my first paying order from something similiar. I made a knife that I was fairly proud of and during the final handle shaping I notice a hairline crack in one of the scales near a pin. It wasn't deep and I don't think posed any structural problems, but it was definately a defect. I gave it to a friend of mine, showed him the defect, and told him to use it around the house and "test" this new design for me. He was greatful and promised me he'd beat the living crap out of it. He took it to work one day to show a coworker and brag how he got a knife for free because of a little crack. The coworker subsequently placed an order.

I've tested plenty of my own blades but every once in a while I like to hear what other people say. I've done this a couple of times and it seems like when I give someone a knife with a known defect and tell them to test it they will. If it's too nice they seem to be reluctant to beat it up.

-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi

Last edited by DaveRuhlig; 04-29-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Is your name on the knife?

Even if it is a freebie to someone, there is always the chance that it will make it into the secondary market. So, eventually someone will talk about the good/bad quality of their secondhand knife, or they will come to you wanting to fix the flaw.

Either fix the flaws now and keep your name on it, take your name off of it and give it away (no Senator, I have no recollection of that knife), or toss it.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Living Legend

Here are the two in question. http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...765#post383765

Armory, yep they have my name on them and unfortunately that's one of the cosmetic faults.

Jim

Old 04-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Master

Jim-
Like I said in the other post - You're going to have to point out the flaws to me. I see nothing wrong!
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 05-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Living Legend

Looks like they are headed to a couple charity events.

They will be auctioned and raffled for the manse for the Inverchaolain church, which needs a new roof. The Old Manse at Inverchaolain is the home of Clan Lamont where all our treasures history and archives are stored and where all clan business is conducted.

Jim

Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Living Legend

Well, I spent many hours correcting what I could starting with resanding the blades and putting a better makers mark.

They are heading out to the sheath makers.

Jim

Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Skilled

I have found that I find all the faults in my knives when no one else can.... because I put them there, I know where to look. I built my own house and can tell you where every nail that didn't seat properly is, but no one else can. I can pick up a Jimmy Lile that my FIL has and has turned down $1500 for and can find several "flaws", didn't keep someone from wanting it. I think the little "flaws" separate a lot of custom knifes from computer controlled, cookie cutter production knives- even of the highest order. When it is hand-made, it is impossible to be perfect, close maybe, but not PERFECT.

On the other hand, if it were a know poor HT or bad off-center grind, that maybe different. But little "cosmetic flaws" I think add to the character of the hand-made knife as long as they are not functionally detrimental or cosmetically unattractive.

But then I don't make "Art Knives", that market may be different....

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576

Tags
knife, knives