MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 05-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered

new to carbon steel

hi, i am new to carbon steel fixed blade knives, i.e. Ranger RD7, with 5160 steel, great knife but i'm concerned about corrosion. i know keeping the blade clean and wiped with flim of oil will help, but what about the pommel, will sweat or moisture seep between the handles and tang. also what is best for this area oil or maybe a little teflon grease. will either one of these hurt the micarta handles? thanks for your help!

Last edited by inkdoc; 05-21-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: change wording
Old 05-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Guru

Just get some balistol or other gun oil and put a light coat on. You will develop a patina on exposed carbon steel, pomel and all. The parts you handle will get a patina faster, but this will inhibit major rust. Leave that discoloration from handling it alone and just keep it cleaned and lightly oiled.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 05-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Registered

Re: carbon steel

well, after getting my ranger rd i saw how easy the black coating comes off. it flaked off almost immediately. maybe i'm crazy but i decided to get rid of black coating. i then used navel jelly to develop a nice patina. i hope i did the right thing. anyway other than that, it looks to be a really good knife. i'm wondering if oil will hurt the micart handles. thanks for your help.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Guru

Light gun oil won't hurt them. Don't soak them in diesel fuel though

I know micarta isn't good with petroleum, but I've never seen balistol hurt it, nor have I heard of it.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 05-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Wax is a better corrosion inhibitor than oil. Think about it this way: When water gets on oil, the oil floats and the water comes in contact with the blade. Wax is too solid and (usually) too dense to float.

Take a look at your car springs. They are (or at least used to be) routinely made of 5160. They do get some surface rust, but even in pretty severe service they don't pit very much. With reasonable care, a 5160 blade should hold up very nicely.

As far as paint is concerned, several around KNet have had good luck with Durocoat. It's an epoxy resin paint. Surface prep makes all the difference in the world as to how well it sticks.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Registered

I own alot of RAT /RC knives and I use them and after use ,I wipe them down with Rem-oil ,and after a few uses I will remove the scales and wipe Rem-oil as well,it does not hurt the micarta handles and keeps them from rusting. TTD

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives