MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 01-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Registered

CRKT vs Kershaw?

Which of these two brands do you all feel is better all around?
I am leaning towards CRKT because I like the designs of their knives although I have heard some concerns as to the quality of steel being used in their newer knives.
I would like to start collecting one brand of working knives and it seems like CRKT has the best overall designs and prices for me.
I appreciate any comments you may all have.

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to xceptnl
Crkt Vs. Kershaw

MIKE,

I WOULD LIKE TO START OFF BY SAYING THAT I OWN SEVERAL KNIVES FROM BOTH OF THE MANUFACTURERS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN. I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOUR SINKING SUSPICION THAT CRKT IS PROBABLY YOUR BETTER BET. I OWN SEVERAL OF THE NICER MODELS OF KERSHAWS LINE-UP (POLISHED LEEK, BORON CHIVE, GREEN BUMP, BLACKOUT, SCALLION, DOUBLE-DUTY). I FIND THESE KNIVS TO BE STRONG AND I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND THE SPEED-SAFE ASSIST TO BE ONE OF THE BEST ASSISTED OPENING MECHANISMS AROUND.

I OWN MANY OF THE OLDER CRKT KNIVES (M18, MIRAGE, S-2, APACHE) I ALSO OWN SEVERAL OF THE NEWER MODELS (M16-13FD, M21-02, POINT GUARD, CASCADE, F4, E-LOCK STARLIGHT, ROLLOCK, M16-13SF, LIGHTFOOT M1, RYAN PLAN B). IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING A CRKT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE PROFESSIONAL SERIES BECAUSE OF THE BLADE STEEL ISSUE YOU ARE TOYING WITH. I HAVE SEVERAL OTHER BRANDS OF PRODUCTION EDC's AND AM WILLING TO SHARE IMPUT ON ANY OF THE BRANDS I'VE HELD, USED, OWNED OR SOLD.

THANKS,

Old 01-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Registered

Thanks XCEPTNL!

I bought an M-16-14M and a M60-16NK on Ebay and like them both.
Are these good knives overall? They are from the Professional Series and I believe they are AUS 8 steel which I am not sure is really good or not.

Thanks again
Old 04-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Steel Addict

Mike,
I think Kershaw used to use a lot of AUS8A steel in their knives. I have 3 CRKT and 18 Kershaws. That is due primarily to the fact that I ran a cutlery store in the 1980s and early 1990s. The Kershaw headquarters was less than 20 miles away from us, so I often went there and picked up our orders.

A year or so ago I bought a CRKT M16-13Z and had a problem with it. I took it into the CRKT office, which is only about 1 mile from Kershaw's old office and they promptly exchanged the knife on the spot. A lady in the office heard me talking to the fellow who was helping me, and asked, "Where did you work?" I told her and she said; "I'm Jennifer, I used to take your orders at Kershaw years ago." Apparently a number of folks from Kershaw & (I think) Gerber work for CRKT.

I think both companies produce good knives. I have more recent Kershaw's because I have arthritis in my hands and I like the assisted opening features of the Kershaws. Warranty with Kershaw was always good and if my experience with CRKT is any indication their warranty is outstanding! I have a CRKT 2000 Sawtooth. It is a great camp knife! I wouldn't be afraid to carry it in combat. It is well made, and probably one of the best bargains on the market today!.

Semper Fi,
Dale
Old 04-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Registered

Hi!
I think the both are good value!
I prefer CRKT, more good idea on design and I like knifemaker who work with them!Kershaw is a great company, but I think there not as good as in the past!
I use CRKT on some hard ground, and it's ok!And many friends of mine, who are in the army, used them with great pleasure!(I think about M 16 Big dog, crawford series, hammond models too).
But before all, buy what you want most, and it will be great!

cordially!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Registered

I will go the other route, to me Kershaw is a better blade,better made and excellent customer service & warranty out of the two brands,most of CRKT is foriegn made therfore you get what you pay for,an good knife at a good $ that has no real value after it is used and take Kershaw brand (USA models only ones I buy) and has great trade value new or used , return a Kershaw to the factory and you will be helped,I returned a chive 2yrs old that was burnt in a fire & rusty and in one weeks time I receive a brand new in the box chive no questioned asked...just my two cents and if I am in the market for a pocket knife Kershaw all the way with out a doubt...TTD

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife, knives