MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 08-18-2004, 09:48 PM

Thumbs down My EDC

Wow...can't believe I'm the first to post in here. Anyways, just wanted to drop in and say that I've owned a Cold Steel Voyager (tanto plain blade) now for oh, lemme see, 7 years at least now and have been immensely satisfied with it, other than the difficulty I've had in sharpening it from time to time. Also the Thumbstud has stripped (still holding) but I'm not sure what to do about that.

Anyone else had this problem?

Old 08-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

7 years and the thumb stud stripping is the only problem you have had? I would say that ain't bad for an EDC. Did the thumb stud actually strip out or just loosen up?

Old 09-06-2004, 01:45 PM

It most definitely stripped as the "thumb turn" part spins freely when you put a phillps into the screw head. It just spins and spins...

Old 10-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Wow, 7 years as an EDC sounds like a pretty good deal to me, especially for a knife in that price range. If it were me, I think I'd be giving it a thumbs up instead of a thumbs down. I'm not saying that to be confrontational. It just sounds pretty good to me if it was actually being used daily.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 10-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Administrator

I agree!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
I have a Cold Steel Extra Large Voyager clip point that I've had since I was 16 (1996) and I carry that knife all the time and have nothing but good things to say about it.

For being such a large knife, it's hardly noticeable in your pocket, or wherever you put it. The only gripe I have about mine is the very thin handle. It doesen't fill the hand too well. The newer models changed this and are a little thicker than mine, so I know I'm not the only one with this complaint.

My knife gets and keeps an amazing edge. It's a joy to sharpen, and scares me sometimes how sharp it gets.

If you send your knife back to cold steel I'm sure they will replace the thumb stud. I hardly use mine, but mine's a different model. I can grip the handle, and swing my arm out and the weight of the blade makes it leap right out.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Administrator

I'd say they'll be happy to help.

Their video presentation is excellent!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 07-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Steel Addict

Cold Steel's videos are great. Seems like you can't do anything to break or dull those knives... Kinda gets tiring after seeing one of their knives cut through a cardboard tube 100 times and still shave.

Also, it shows the destructive power of a blade to flesh. I see on the video what a sharp blade can do to a piece of hanging meat, and it terrifies me to know that it could do that to a human torso just as easily.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozh_scrap
Cold Steel's videos are great. Seems like you can't do anything to break or dull those knives... Kinda gets tiring after seeing one of their knives cut through a cardboard tube 100 times and still shave.

Also, it shows the destructive power of a blade to flesh. I see on the video what a sharp blade can do to a piece of hanging meat, and it terrifies me to know that it could do that to a human torso just as easily.

It isn't as surprising to me now as it used to be...i made a bowie from O-1 and tested the blade edge retention with a convex edge. I chopped eight 2x4's a hardwood 4x4, and sliced a box to strips and sliced up 50 sheets of paper( didn't have any rope to sacrifice) chopped a penny in half, with no damage to edge, and it finally got to where it was kinda hard to get it to shave, but it still would...the things I have learned in here are truly amazing.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Steel Addict

well cool man... anyone who owns any of your knives, or will own any in the future should be really pleased, and you should be proud.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:09 AM
Registered

easy fix

well fixing the thumb stud should be a breeze, just get some locktite (or superglue, or epoxy, preaty much anything that sticks) and screw it back together, and let it sit for a few mins. should be as good as new. congrats on takeing such good care of your knife.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Voyagers

I've never had a problem with any of my Voyagers; The locktite should cure your problem. If you send it back they will most likely send you another one.
If you want to know how tough they really are, read my post in the "new member" thread here in this Cold Steel forum. Any knife I can run over with a loaded 727-200 and still use (and I did and I could) gets my vote for toughest knife on the planet.
All of my Cold Steel blades are excellent, but my Voyagers are with me no matter what else I also carry.:

Tags
blade, knife, knives