MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 01-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Registered

machete choice

Hi, Sorry for my language, im french.
I'm looking for a machete and I hesitate between these three models:
Schrade Priscilla, KERSHAW CAMP 18 "and CRKT Chanceinhell 18".

maybe you can advise me
Old 04-28-2019, 06:00 PM

I have had good luck with my Ontario Knife Company 18" Military Machete. It is made from 1095 High Carbon Steel and performs better against heavier growth. The blades are hardened to 50-55 HRC. This is done so that they'll resist "plate-shear chipping" of the steel. They are quite tough and have been used by the US Military since 1943.

If you are using the machete to cut lighter brush, try a Tramontina Machete from Brazil it has a thinner (2mm) blade and uses lower carbon steel. This also endures "toughness". While you may have to sharpen the lower carbon steel blade more frequently, the ability of the blade to bend and "spring back" to its original shape will make it worth your while.

Last edited by Captain O; 04-29-2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: errant spelling
Old 04-28-2019, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

The Kershaw and CRKT both use the same carbon steel, roughly equivalent to 1065. The Schrade uses a Chinese stainless steel that includes some vanadium. Both steels are adequate for this application, but it seems to me the Schrade is slightly better.

On the other hand, the handle on the Schrade doesn't look as well attached as the other two. (The other two seem to have rivets or bolts, while the Schrade might not have any.) Look at that closely before buying.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:42 AM
Enthusiast

Production Stainless - Machete

Commercial grade stainless steel is 420 or 440 that are used for their corrosion resistance which increases with increasing chromium content. Molybdenum added increases corrosion resistance in reducing acids and against pitting attack in chloride solutions. Stainless steel does not stand up to impact without fracturing. Macrofractographic evaluation was performed using a stereomicroscope.
The Zombie Apocalypse fad made fantasy machete for display only. Some machete were awful with stainless in field conditions like Camillus Carnivor X that crack after one use. The machete shown in this topic are low end Chinese made carried by respected brand names. Do not be fooled. Machete for work are made in South America and Central America by Imacasa (Condor) currently.
The real question is, "Look at it, or Use it?"
Zombie machete usually have hollow plastic grips that are not ABS either.

Tags
1095, abs, back, bee, bend, blades, brand, carbon, crkt, hand, handle, kershaw, knife, machete, made, make, military, rivets, schrade, stainless, stainless steel, steel, thin, toughness