MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 AM

CRKT DogFish neck sheath question

Hi! I'm new here. Nice to know that there are other knife nuts around. Anyway, I have bought a new Columbia River Knife and Tool Krein DogFish. I like it -- A good size for a neck knife. My problem is the Kydex sheath that comes with it. The knife fits nicely, but it is a bit loose and the knife can fall out. Oops! So, does anyone know how I can simply tighten up the sheath just a little bit? Thanks for your help, Donald in Memphis.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM

HI again! An update on my CRKT Dogfish prob:

(1) I wrote CRKT, who said they had no fixes for me but to send them the sheath -- I assume for replacemt if they have a tighter sheath.

(2) There would seem to be at least one great solution, to heat the Kydex & pinch the sheath a little on either side of the knife entrance way. But I've never messed with Kydex & I don't want to make things worse.

(3) I did try cutting a small fold of 4 layers of duck-tape for insertion just inside the entrance & that worked but felt kinda mushy.

(4) I also tried putting 2 square magnets from Radio Shack on each side of the sheath & doing a wrap to hold them in place. This works great, but the sheath is now much, much heavier & bulkier. If I come across any smaller magnets (round would be better) I may try glueing them directly to the sheath & removing the bulky wrapping.

(5) I'll probably send the sheath back to CRKT to see if they can find a tighter one.

This is only my 2nd fixed blade neck knife - I collect folders - so maybe I'm expecting too much. My first was a Benchmade Activator - way cool - which cost significantly more than the Dogfish.

But I wanted the Dogfish to try my first wrap on. (My handle wrap looks & feels great.) So the sheath is, in this case, really of secondary interest. I always carry my knives in belt pouches anyway.

So, can anyone recommend a good knife that I can wrap that's light, not too expensive, & has a blade length of less than 3 inches? And how bout a neck sheath for small folders?
--Thanks, Donald from Memphis.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Steel Addict

to tighten the sheath you can simply ad another rivet closer to the mouth of the sheath.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Steel Addict

if you cant add a rivet. if you have 2 big books wrap them in foams rubber and you can heat the sheath up with a heat gun or a really hot hair dryer and put it between the 2 books quickly and stand on the books for a few minutes and it will mold the sheath a little tighter. i did that with a sheath for my CRKT Tabor i made.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Steel Addict

also the process for making your own kydex sheath is very simple and can be done with minimal tools! you should look into that for making a neck sheath for a folding knife!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Steel Addict

check this out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pR3mu9_8xU
Old 06-07-2014, 02:36 AM

I used to have it, its a fun knife, easy steel to sharpen (not much labor). You'll be happy with it, but only down side is you'll want one of his customs and that issue mentioned above. Yes you can add rivet but it will affect the looks.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:12 AM
Skilled

Cool

Donald,

Looks I'm like you've laid out all the options. I like your ingenuity wIth the magnets!
There are magnets available called " rare earth magnets" that would do the trick. They are small and powerful.

But I believe your best options are to as Hondo described and remold the sheath with foam. A hair dryer will work fine (unless you have a heat gun, the type used for for stripping pain, on it's lowest setting) in any case don't get in a hurry while you heat it up. Be patient and heat it slowly. If you get it too hot too quickly it will scorch and be shiny.

If that fails send it back!

Good luck!
Alex

--------------------------

I just noticed this original post is about 4 years old! Darn.... Donald, I hope you figured something out before now

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Last edited by ATalley; 06-14-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Tags
back, blade, crkt, dogfish, easy, fixed blade, folding, folding knife, gun, hot, hunting knife, knife, knives, kydex, kydex sheath, made, making, neck knife, sheath, simple, steel, tools, wrap