MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

The new ESEE H.E.S.T. Right-Handed Folder

Recently I have been using the Zero Tolerance brand of knives as my EDCs, both in the 0300 series, and to a lesser degree the 0350. I even have a 0121 which is still sitting around until I work-out at the gym long enough to actually lift it...

However, last year I placed a B/O for the ESEE H.E.S.T. right-handed folder that was still listed as a prototype. I've been around in the industry long enough to know that sometimes these knives never are produced. For example, while I have the ZT0551, I'm not sure the 0550 will ever see the light of day.

The ESEE showed up by surprise about one week ago with no fanfare and as a complete surprise.

Yikes, this H.E.S.T. is a great knife! I love D2 steel, and the blade polished well into the "spooky" range. The frame has more titanium than my Aunt Clara's hip replacement, and the blade is trimmed with the fixed blade's signature bottle opener. The G-10 side of the handle is OD green because stuff made for chairborne rangers sells better.

The frame lock is thick, strong, and properly positioned to catch the left edge of the blade blank (looking up at the bottom) to ensure long wear.

It did take me a bit to find the proper adjustments on the unique fasteners to permit a good solid pivot with no wobble but yet is easy enough to open. Fortunately they provide a fob with the necessary forked wrench head, and a numer 10 Torx bit fits the hex sides.

The pocket clip provides a deep carry which I like, but it's "tip up" which I don't like. I've been cut (by another knife, not this one). This clip is fastened to the handle with a 'glass breaker,' and I have used it once already--but to puncture a cracked egg to pour it out of the carton. Hey, a tool is a tool.

I bought two of these folders from Blue Ridge for 116 dollars each. The MSRP is around 175 bucks, but I'm sure a lowballer can do much better. They do offer a left-handed model.

Edit: This knife is actually made by LionSteel in Italy. They are known for their precision, and my example is totally devoid of any manufacturing flaws or poor blade grinds.

Last edited by The Tourist; 03-08-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Tags
blade, brand, fixed blade, folder, hunting knife, knife, knives