MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

tomcat aus-6 steel

i recently bought a sog tomcat II. i know everyone seems to knock aus6 steel for not holding an edge very long. is that to mean knife will have a fairly short life since it will require more frequent shapening?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Just because AUS6 is not as tough as S30V does not mean its not a decent knife steel. Yes, it may require more sharpening, but it is a lot easier to sharpen.

When you speak of 'wearing out' the blade, I think of the old-time butchers knives. They were generally made of a bit softer steel so that they were easy to sharpen and the butchers would sharpen them many times per day. Even at that - cutting and sharpening all day - the blades would last for many years.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:11 PM

Could not have said it better. SOG uses a good heat treat, so you get a good blade.

Robbie Roberson.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Registered

Re: sog aus6

Thanks for your replies. this makes me feel better. i know sog makes quality stuff.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

The AUS series matches up approximately with the 440 series, and MANY knives have been made with 440B or 440C. The AUS steels have some vanadium added, which enhances the edge holding.

There isn't a month that goes by that some newbie doesn't ask about what the "best" steel is. The reality is that there is a broad range of steels that can - potentially! - make a great knife. Steel alone doesn't 'make' a knife. Blade geometry, heat treatment, fit-and-finish all factor in.

The knife also has to fit the service for which it was intended. For example, a diver's knife has to be able to resist corrosion - even if that requires sacrificing some other properties. A soldier I know broke several very expensive blades - made with excellent steels - while in combat. He finally had to get knives made with O1 and 5160 - pretty basic non-stainless stuff - in order to get the performance he needed.

The variety of steels that can be used for knifemaking is part of what makes this forum fascinating.

If you were building a knife for cutting competition, you probably wouldn't pick AUS6. But, as an EDC, it is a decent steel and has good resistance to corrosion. It's not too hard to sharpen and will probably hold up well in the type of usage intended. Manufacturer's like it because its easy to machine and it polishes up nicely.

Tags
blade, knife, knives