MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Skilled

To washer or not washer

I have struggled with this. I do understand that it may keep one from having to mill out an area to keep scratches off but is it good maker policy to use them? And is that the real reason? Just trying to figure one more thing out...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
I have struggled with this. I do understand that it may keep one from having to mill out an area to keep scratches off but is it good maker policy to use them? And is that the real reason? Just trying to figure one more thing out...

The reason for washers is to prevent scratching the blade every time the knife is opened or closed.

Washers also make it easier to set the clearance between the blade and liner.

And all makers I'm aware of use some kind of washer, whether the liner is milled out to clear the rest of the blade, or washers are added to the pivot area.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Master

I've got a question about washers. I recently made a friction folder from a block of paduak. How would I install thin washers (on future folders)? It is already a snug fit so if I put them on the pivot hole on the blade, the handle would push them off when inserting the blade, if I put them on the handle pivot hole, the blade would push them away.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Hall of Famer

I've never made a friction folder.

Maybe you could insert one washer on the pivot pin, then insert the blade and push the pin up until it's flush with the opposite side of the blade, then insert the second washer, then push the pin all the way thru.

I've done that before on folders.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Master

I have made slip-joints with and without washers milled into the liners. First all things must be made equal, even and 100% right on the money for there not to be any area that may produce a scratch on the blade tang/pivot area.
This is not impossible but you sure have to be right on the money with your fit and finish. The problem is that while setting the pivot pin (peening) you may through your fit right out the window.
Now if you are making a using knife and do not care if are small scratches then do not use the miled washers. Also even using milled washers on the liners does not mean that there wont be scratches on the blade.
Hope that this helps.
Curtis Wilson

Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Skilled

I know Don thinks washer but you are right and most of my folder makers mill out the liner and thus do not use a washer and it works too.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Steel Addict

I have not made any slip joints, only liner locks, but I use brass washers, others use nylatron washers. They are dissimilar materials to the blade and decrease the friction along with centering the blade and preventing scratches. Dan

Tags
blade, brass, folder, handle, knife, knives, pivot, tang