MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Ron:

Great job as usual. You spoil us. Would be great if you put all of your observations in a book. Sounds like a good retirement project.

Mike
Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks, Mike. That's food for thought, but I'm not sure I could handle the fame and glory
Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Just think of all the free drinks you would get at the Blade Show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM

Yeah that would be a nice perk alright, but what about the tendonitis I'd end up with after autographing all those books? Life is so unfair!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM

Come on Ron, you could get one of those rubber stamps with your signature and just ink your signature will hoisting a nice cold one to your lips

Dan in Kalifornia
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Not bad, Dan. Not bad at all.... Howz this: I get a signature stamp for the bottom of my beer mug. Then each time I take a slug, you slide a new book underneath and we now have a production line running!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 PM

As long as the beers are cold and free I'll put as many books under your mug as you need.
Dan
Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM

Dan,

I've been waiting for Moosehead to jump in and says he'll take care of the free beer, but I can't hold my breath any longer! I think I can afford at least a dozen beers or so. That should get us started.

Best,

Ron
Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 PM

Ron, you know I'm good for supplying the suds.

But I'm a little worried about you writing a book about Randalls.

The last fellow that pulled one off, he did a great job, but remember what happened after his book was published.

I guess it would be okay if you tried, but I would be careful...

Make sure you carry one of these at all times:

What is it?

It's a...

Now don't you worry about the beer.

Cheers!

David

Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 PM

Moosehead beer was once one of my favorites, but the antler marks on my inner thighs were a real pain

Dan
Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM

David: OK, beer seems to be the least of my worries. Thanks!

Dan: I'm not touching that one with a 10 foot pole!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM

Hi folks!

Jack's thread and incredible story have been just a tad hijacked by me and others, so I thought I'd try to bring us back on track (sort of)...

A liitle while back it was brought to my attention that the late actor Errol Flynn possessed at least one Randall knife in his personal life. How fitting!!!

A thorough Internet search will provide you with this photo of Errol sporting his Randall while aboard his sailing yacht (circa early 1950's), as well as plethora of other images, videos and information about this film icon.

I think Errol would have made a fantastic Jacknola or Flashman, don't you?

Cheers!

David

Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM

Kinda looks a little like WDR. If I recall, he had a model #4 fighter... yup, a model #4 with a double hilt and a sharpened top edge.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 PM

Rick,

I'd like to expand a bit on your comment if you don't mind:

Errol's knife is what is known as a WWII "Commando". It's original roots went back to one of Bo's hunting knives from the late 30's as did the WWII Hunters. As you mentioned, it sported a double hilt and a sharpened clip. I found a photo of one in my files as follows (I think it came from Pete's book and was owned by Tom Clinton):

Note that this one has an "S" type guard. Most did not have this feature.

Over time I have learned that there were a number of different WWII Hunter grinds (As there were Commando grinds), some of which had as much of an "upsweep" as any Model 4 we recognize today:

In his book, Gaddis mentions that Bo recollected a WWII Hunter he made for a guy who wanted more of an upswept blade for skinning. He relied on that memory to come out with his "Big Game Skinner" that he introduced in the summer of 1945, later to be known as the Model 4 as it took fourth place in his catalog lineup behind the All Purpose Fighter, Stiletto and Hunter.

Best,

Ron
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Skilled

Dang what a good line of information and ... stuff. I've gotten a books worth in information on old Randalls, from pins to early recons. Thanks Ron, what a source! And I can't believe a beer huggy sheath, with cross-wise Randall stamp (very early '60s?) AND a Heiser stamp? Great stuff aoout Erroll Flynn... great knife and pictures... thanks all. Jack

Re: Story - I didn't mention the part about seeing Erroll in the late '50s in Singapore when I was 14 years old. I was observing Erroll's movie-star press conference in the Raffles Hotel, and by chance met a young chinese girl about my age (but way more sophisticated), Lai Choi San, who I called dragon-girl. It turned out that she was the daughter of the leader of a Singapore Chinese Tong - big supporter of Lee Quan Yew. Dragon-girl later helped me get out of a jam....

...later in Kalimantan (Borneo) 1964 ? Sabah actually. Indonesian commie dictator, Sukarno, had launched his ?assault? to take Sabah and Sarawak from Malaysia, and the Commonwealth had sent troops to fight the resulting jungle war.

I was in Brunei on R&R, and got caught in a ?situation? out on the Sabah/Kalimantan (Borneo) border. Fortunately, I had a fantastic meeting under the strangest circumstances with old first-flame dragon-girl, now a full-fledged beauty. She wiggled her finger and had her father?s ?boys? help me (and the Commonwealth) out of a tight situation, and into a ?reunion? of sorts back in Brunei? another story?

Last edited by Jacknola; 02-05-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Tags
back, blade, book, brass, cold, collecting, comma, education, flags, handle, ivory, knife, knives, leather, made, military, pathfinder, pins, randall, resin, sheath, sheaths, sog, survival, survival knife