MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-26-2018, 09:36 PM

Springfield Randall with bayonet style blade?? Picture added

Hello
Here is a question about a knife I picked up. The old owner said he bought it right from
Bo Randall many years ago and stated that they made this after ww2. And they made some from bayonet stock.
The handle,guard and colored strips look like other Springfield Randall’s I have seen on line but none have this kind of blade.
Any info to this

Thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146168.../shares/k5q0yz

Last edited by Jay45; 09-27-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:24 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
How bout a photo.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 PM

I will put one up as soon as I can
Thanks
Old 09-27-2018, 06:58 PM
Skilled

Jay45,

I would have to say that this never left Bo's shop like this. The blood groove looks very amateurishly done. Also, the sheath is much newer than WWII era correct sheaths.

Bill
Old 09-27-2018, 07:31 PM

Hi Bill
yes that sheath just were it lives. I got it from a low s attack that I bought and it fit better with this just for a home.
Yes I am sure Bo Randall would do a better job than this. But the Springfield Randall’s were not made by Bo or his guys at his shop. Mr Larsen made some somewhere around 1943. Some were from his basement and some from a shop called Northampton Cutlery Company.

So some were cold struck and had very lite stamps and some none at all. Like this one.
But did they ever use a bayonet blade for the knife. I have seen a few Springfield Randall knives and I have not seen one with this type of blade but the handles do look similar to this.

Thanks for input
Old 09-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Skilled

Hey Jay,

I know where they were made, but your first post stated that it was Bo Randall who this man bought it from. I'm sure that he would never sell a used knife, nor one ground like this one.

If this did indeed start life as a Northhampton item, The blood groove would have obliterated the Springfield logo.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:15 PM

Hi Bill
Yes that is what he told me. He did remember buying this knife right from Bo Randall on a visit there.

I just read an article called Randall Lore #26 Randall Springfield and it does mention the bayonet story.

So now is this one of them?

Like I was saying I have not seen any others like this one. Hoping someone else out there has one to.

Thanks again
Old 09-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Skilled

Get yourself some of Bob Hunt's books. There is a nice shot of a Randall handled Bayonet on page 17 of "Randall Fighting Knives in Wartime"

This is the cover of another one of his books.....

Old 09-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Skilled

Pg. 120/121 of Hunt's "Rare, Unique & Experimental has a photograph of the best one yet.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:04 AM
Steel Addict

The Springfield knives were made from WWI vintage bayonets. They were obviously reforged from the bayonets.

The subject knife never came from Bo Randall or the Randall shop. Larsen had a couple hundred I think it was left over blades probably in various stages of completion after he ceased production. Some were put together by him. My guess this was a raw bayonet blade put together.

Bo did handle a bayonet and it is in one of Hunt's books I believe, so it is not impossible to consider it. Unfortunately the handle and spacers on this one are not Randall.

http://www.rmkcollector.com/knives-c...gfield-randall
Old 09-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Hello
Yes I agree the handle was not Randall but maybe a basement job as discribed in article. The colors seem to match, and the guard etc. and yes I thought the same thing as to the blade (a reworked bayonet just re-ground) I have read two articles from this guy and enjoyed them.
At this point I am not ready to call the guy I got it from, a Liar (lol) but here nor there

Thanks for the input
Old 10-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Skilled

It's a shame that even after what we have told you here, you listed in on eBay trying to misinform unsuspecting bidders of a one of a kind rarity. SMFH

Tags
a, art, blade, ca, cold, cutlery, fighting, first post, guard, handle, home, knife, knives, made, photo, post, question, randall, rare, sheath, sheaths, shop, smf, ww2, wwii