MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Enthusiast

Barry Lee when you going to share some of these new teqhniques?

Think about newer techniques and new ideas coming from your techniques. I thought the idea of these forums was to share new ideas and techniques so everyone can benefit from them.

When I heard of "Gilded" pearl I imediately thought of gold leaf gilded on with lacquer. I know about gilding the old fashioned way with gold size and lacquers. I would assume one cuts a polished round channel for the stem then lay inn the gold size and let that all dry and lacquer it.

Barry, you could be very helpful here and see what other good artists could do with these new techniques. instead of making them a big trade secret! you have posted enough that
everyone will know you were the first to try these techniques

C'mon Barry join the share club and advance this great craft even more.

Last edited by Herman Knives; 12-20-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Steel Addict

As much as I would love the knowledge that Barry Lee has to offer. I will be the first to admit that there may be some personal techniques that we should not share. As A Fly Tyer I help teach the basics, but I still keep a few secrets for myself.

Ask KFC to give up their chicken reciepe, its almost the same difference.

I was not trying to offend, but sometimes we need things to seperate our work from that of others.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Enthusiast

Jeff, then lets hear about the basics. I aint asking for trade secrets, just some basics so people can add their own twists and ideas to these new techniques. I can see some amazing things come from these new techniques from original gold inlaid veins and leaf design like in traditinal engraving patterns instead of just the swirley arabesque design style in the pearl. Just think of all the new looks achievable besides Barry'sArabesque design

So much more could be done by many master envoloving these techniques.

Barry please share the basics of the wonderful techniques. You have already made your name as creator of these tecchniques and are the inhspiration to continue with new ideas so everything/job dont look the same.

How do I post a pick here for an example? I have a gorgeous full color tiger that would look great with some "gilded" pearl around it. We could do a mock-up and see what it would look like. Put a Gilded pearl handle on this!

Last edited by Herman Knives; 12-21-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Master

I'm with Jeff on this one.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast

You guys dont want to see any new and exciting techniques come from any of this?? Shall we just stagnate and stay in the same boat for good? I would think you all would want to see what could come out of some new techniques and further the creativity of this wonderful craft.
rosesliver3.jpg

marlin3.jpg

price72folded.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newprice72.jpg (60.4 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Herman Knives; 12-21-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Master

I don't think its that at all. I'm a firm believer that true art and technique development comes from self-exploration. I've developed quite a few of my own techniques simply because no one showed me and I figured it out myself. I'm nowhere near as good as Barry and someone could probably easily imitate my techniques, but they originated from me and I am not sure I would give them away freely.

I don't know how Barry feels about all this, but if he gaves his secrets away and others copy him, what makes his work unique? In the long scheme of things who would know he developed them?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

capt-jens, Barry has done so many knives with these techniques that he wont be forgotten.
I am just saying we all share techniques about most everything and Barry should join in the fun. Everything doesnt need to be a "trade secret"! I was just asking for some basics here not the god forbid trade secrets.
k11.jpg

k13.jpg

k17.jpg

k16.jpg

Last edited by Herman Knives; 12-21-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Master

Well, I guess its sort of up to him.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Tim,

To post a picture, use the attachment option within your posts. Once you click the attachment icon, it'll open an interface that allows you to upload as many images to the post as you want. It will auto-generate the thumb for you, which will link to the full size image. If you have multiple images in the post, it will create a slideshow when you click one of the thumbs that it creates.

I've attached some of Larry Newton's gold engraved knives for an example of attachments. It doesn't show the technique you're talking about, but they're cool looking engraved pieces. We just finished a new website for him this week. http://www.larrynewtonknives.com

Also, you can click your username and create a personal photo gallery. They'll rotate through the images on the homepage for all the world to see, and you can link them to posts, other websites, etc. (PS - post some of your work for these guys to see! you do excellent work yourself!!!)

Let me know if you need help!

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K04810_.jpg (59.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg K05135-_.jpg (121.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg K05136_b.jpg (175.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg LN-1104.jpg (87.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg LN-1108.jpg (68.2 KB, 48 views)

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Alex
Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Steel Addict

Herman

Its not that I dont want to see new techniques born, I always embrace new ideas and techniques.

I just feel that the trial and error that leads to the discovery of these new techniques is what makes them so precious.

More then several years ago(Dont want to give away my age) I was at a get together with some of the best tyers in the art of fly tying. I was over heard saying that I would love to know the secrets of 2 of the master tyers there, and I didnt give it much more thought. Then about 1 hour later a couple of guys that I had met came over and asked if I would like to join them and a few friends for a beer.

When we got to the room there they were, some of the best tyers in the world invited little ole me to talk about tying, letting me ask anything I wanted and even showed me how to get the results I was failing to get.

The bottom line was that these secrets I had been seeking was techinques that I at one time had used and given up on, because I did not take the time to master them before giving up on them.

I also learned that all I had to do was ask them and they were willing to do what they could to help answer my questions. They did not mind sharing, they just didnt want to share with everyone
due to possible misuse of their information.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 AM
Enthusiast

I dont think Barry gives out any information unless money is involved. Plus he strikes me as very egotistical. I bet if you took one of his $5000 a week courses he might tell you some of these new techniques. But otherwise you are on your own
Old 12-29-2011, 06:00 AM
Steel Addict

I am sorry that you did not get the answers that you wanted.

But that happens sometimes.

But if you reread my prior post you will see I was never talking about Barry Lee, I was talking about how some of the what, I thought were untouchable Master Fly Tyers, came to help me.

Nothing More Nothing Less.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Steel Addict

Herman, sounds to me like you're trying to harass, wheedle and pester information out of Barry. Not a good approach if you expect help from a master of the trade.

Jim T
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Master

All of the above have some valid points. But there is one that none of you have touched upon. You see like Damascus when it was last made in Germany around 1900 to 1904 and prior to that in Italy in the late 1800's before that it was over 300 years since it was made . It wsa a lost art because it was not shared.
You see an art that is not shared is lost . When you die the knowledge dies with you. This is the reason that I share my knowledge with others.
I may not be as well know as some makers, scrimshaw artists, or engravers; but many of them share my ideas about this.
This is something that one of the makers of the late 50's, 60's, and 70's, and later a Master Engraver Ralph Bone had more than one discussion about while he was my Engraving Instructor.
This is just my two cents worth.
But, as each of us are different so are our thoughts on this matter.
You see I to would like to learn some of the aspects of this technique but to apply in a different method.

Curtis Wilson

Tags
apply, art, auto, damascus, dies, engraving, knives, made, post, ralph, scrimshaw, teach