MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Lazer vs Hand Engraving

I know some of you probably cringed when you saw the title. I am in the process of making a knife for a friend that is soon to be retiring from the Air Force after 25+ years of service. I want to get some type of inscription on the blade (working on what that will be) and wanted to ask, what method should I go with or is one better than another for certain applications. This is going to be a fixed blade skinner, 154 CM mirror polish. I assume that hand engraving will have to be done during the annealed state so that results in me having to use a different bolster than I planned. No big deal, just want to get some opinions so I know which way to go.

On a second note, the one engraver that I have met is soon to be retiring and is not taking any new clients. Do you have any recommendations of people that I could contact for future projects?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

I have a friend that does laser engraving on my knives when I need something like you are talking about. He paints the blade with a marking paint that leaves the engraving black.. We did a test when we first started so I could see how good it is and it took quite a bit to polish it off. I tried just buffing it but ended up doing some sanding then buffing to remove it all.

Tags
blade, engraving, fixed, fixed blade, hand, hunting knife, knife, knives, making, mirror, polish, skinner