MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Heat treat ? for an engraved blade

We are in the process of making a fully engraved lockback folder of 440C. The blade, backspine, butt spacer have all been engraved and now successfully heat treated. They have just come out of the tempering oven and look great. They all, though, do have that patins of grey on them from the vaccuum heat treat. What is the best way to get rid of that patina. Should I sand with 1200 grit paper, lightly buff with white or green rouge? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Old 05-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Steve:
I have the exact same situation now with one of my knives.
What did you do to solve this issue?
Also was there any problem heat treating the blade? Warpage, stress cracks etc.? Did the heat treater do anything special in the process?
Thanks
--Art Gaudette
Phoenix, AZ
Old 05-19-2011, 11:58 AM

Art
I ended up doing my own heat treat in my kiln. I simply triple wrapped the pieces that were engraved that needed to be heat treated and there was no scale on them at all. There was a very light coating of grey oxidation but that came off very easily with some 1200 grit sandpaper. There was a very slight bit of warpage in the blade but I don't think it had anything to do with the engraving.
Hope that helps
Steve

Old 05-20-2011, 11:16 AM

Steve:

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm a PT hobby engraver making my own fixed blade and folders. I'm at the point of purchasing an Evenheat oven to make the engraving of the 440C blades easier especially when I'm inlaying gold wire etc.

Any advice on a recommended heat profile for 440C? Are you quenching the blades in oil or letting them air cool in the stainless bag?

Thanks
--Art
Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 PM

for 440C I use 1910 for 10 minute soak witht he blades wrapped inthe stainless foil. Quench the blade between two heavy aluminum plates. Temper at 400 for 1 hour, twice. Can you show us some of your work?
Steve

Old 05-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Thanks, I'm just making these for a hobby now, not selling them. I have a few pictures at

http://www.artgaudette.com/

Maybe when I'm able to retire, I'll have more time to devote to it. I really enjoy the engraving most but that takes a huge amount of time just to keep the skill level up. I use a Lindsey Classic air graver which I purchased about 5 years ago. I got into making the lock back folders to have something to engrave. I'm working on some fixed blades now to do something different.

--Art

--Art
Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast

best way, grind out patina with 2000 sanding paper waterproof and diamantpast in micron 5/7 or smaller

Take a flat hard rubber as base for sanding paper.

I used russian diamond paste, the result of this is a very perfect satin finish, the best for engravings.
Many makers are polish their engraving to death.

I hope you can understand my pure english :-(

Michael

Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Master

When heatreating blades that have been engraved or for that matter any blade If you wrap the blade, spring, etc. with plain white papertowels normally 4 to 5 layer wrap then foil wrap. This way there is a heavy layer of pure carbon to keep the blade from decarbing, thus no thick scale to get off of the blade. This will also help in the possibilities of having stress risers in the material. I spoke with one of the Metallurgists at Crucible many years ago about doing this and he said that what I was doing was the best way to do the heat- treatment without having a atmospheric oven to do it in. That is why I have been doing it this way for over 14 years.
Hope that this is of some help to you.
Curtis Wilson

Tags
art, blade, diamond, fixed blade, folder, heat treat, hobby, hunting knife, knife, knives, material, satin finish