MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Transfer Solutions

Does anyone have the same problem as I do that Transfer Magic and other solutions never really dry and smear away when your fingers rob over them while engraving other areas?
Damar varnish and shellac have this same problem for me.

Does anyone have a solution that really thoroughly dries and is durable?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Master

Tim, I have had the same problem at times. With the Transfer Magic I haven't had so much of the problem. Some of it depends on what the transfer paper or material is and the ink used. I have used a clear acid free spray for drawings to do a coat seal on it after transferred with a solution that I made ( it is an acrylic spray use only a light spray). I have also found that I can use parchment paper with my copy maching, (note: you need to tape the parchment paper onto a regular sheet of copy paper). I have found that I have a lot better luck using some of the NGraver White transfer solution it is a lot like Chinese White, but does not smear like Chinese White. Using the white solution you can either use a pencil, or graphite paper and trace over the image to do the transfer. The problem with the other transfer solutions is that there is normally not enough thinner to make it dry to where it will not smear. Try to use some Acetone to thin the solution as most of the paint thinners have an oil base, the other thing that you can use is the water base Turpentine, it should dry better and thus not smear as readly. Note:you can get the water base turpentin at Michael's art & craft store as well as Hobby Lobby and I think that I have even seen it at Lowe's.
Hope that this is of some help to you.
Curtis

Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

Tim, I haven't had a lot of time to play with transfers, but got good results with NGraver brand fluid. Also got a very good transfer with the Laurel Mountain brand layout and engraving fluid available from Midway using an ink-jet HP4240 printer. Didn't smear at all. Mike

Tags
brand, hobby, image