MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 09-24-2002, 04:36 PM

Classic KnifeKits Contest # 1

Okay, I have hinted around long enough; here is the 1st Official Classic KnifeKits Contest!

THE NEED:

Classic KnifeKits products offer a promise that goes beyond the bunch of parts you see in the kits. All of you prove that with every picture posted. We need to be able to highlight the promise of the product to insure our company continues to grow. More growth will allow more designs, special editions, and so on.

In a nutshell, we need samples to show interested parties the possibilities our kits provide.

Now, we have access (obviously) to some very talented people, and we could simply drop a few e-mails, and get some rocking pieces, but that isn?t as much fun as a CONTEST!

THE IDEA:

This contest applies ONLY to the following models: GPC-1000; GX-6; and TC-4. Contestants can enter as many completed kits as they want. Contestants can enter more than 1 model of kit.

Step 1. Purchase your kit(s) through whatever channels you currently use.

Step 2. Finish the kits using your very best work. The only restrictions are as follows:

 No precious metals.
 No gems.
 Completed knife cannot be signed, or maker?s marked in any way.

Step 3. E-mail us at Sales@knifekits.com Put "Contest Submission" in the subject line. In the message let us know you have a contest knife. We will arrange for shipping to Atlanta for professional filming. The knife will then be judged by Darrel & Jerry. The judging will be anonymous. Neither Darrel or Jerry will know who has submitted which knife.

Step 4: From the photo entries, the judges will pick five (5) finalists per kit model. We will contact the maker, and pay to have the knives shipped to us at Classic KnifeKits. When all finalists have been received, we will determine a winner. Finalists will get their knives back, the winners will have the honor of having their knives displayed (along with a ?finished by? placard) at all of the premier knife shows in the world (Blade Show, SHOT Show etc.).

THE PRIZES:

Finalists receive:

One (1) free base kit of their choosing.

Winners in each category receive the following:
 A $100.00 Classic KnifeKits gift certificate!
 A replacement kit for whatever model you submitted.
 Out of pocket expenses reimbursed for materials used on the winning knife.
 International recognition at various cutlery events.
 Major bragging rights on the forums.

Once there is a winner for each model, we will then name a ?BEST OF THE BEST? finished kit. That maker will be ?Kit Maker Of The Year?.

?Kit Maker Of The Year? receives the same prizes as our category winners (since he/she will BE one of the category winners) PLUS a Kalamazoo grinder, and recognition with a maker profile on our website!

Everyone gets the ability to really flex their creative and artistic muscles. No matter what, competing in this contest will help your skills grow.

Just to make this absolutely clear: If you win your category, we use your finished kit as a sample. Ownership reverts to Classic KnifeKits. You get back the same kit model, plus out of pocket expenses (with verifiable receipts) for material (s) used to build the kit. These materials are only those used in the kit itself (ie exotic wood handles, brass bolsters etc.) not materials used/consumed during the making or finishing of the kits (ie. Sanding discs, grinding wheels etc.)

FINALISTS WILL BE NAMED DECEMBER 1, 2002.

THE CONTEST WILL END, AND WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED JANUARY 1, 2003.

Last edited by ghen; 09-25-2002 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:54 AM
Administrator

We had a typo on the dates. Please use the revised dates above for submission and grading deadlines.

All finalist knives will be sent to Atlanta for filming (our expense) so that all knives to be finally judged will have print images available for our magazine article editors and ultimately for your personal web use.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 09-25-2002, 08:02 AM

Considering when the GX's are being released, I thought Nov.1 seemed kinda tight.
I knew you wouldn't want us rushing our "masterpieces."

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 09-25-2002, 09:00 AM
Skilled

Great contest idea!
Will international recognition includes an invitation to next year's Blade show?
I'm sure the winner(s) will be happy to man the KnifeKits table in exchange for coach travel and a standard room at the Renaissance.
No precious metals, no gems is clear, but just what components of the kit must be used?
- now if my GPC's and/or GX's would finally arrive.

Old 09-25-2002, 10:28 AM

I'll offer up a second to Kelly's suggestion of winners going to next year's Blade.

It's one thing to consider the possibility of winning a touch of publicity (not to diminish that, or the "bragging rights")...and maybe even the remote chance of a $200 K'zoo finishing grinder, in exchange for what will most likely be a $500+ knife (If what I've been offered for each of my last 4 kit knives is any indication). But the idea of going to blade representing my knife and knifekits,...now that would certainly rev anybody's jets.

Now as to Kelly, who's probably thinking of grinding his own wonderful, damascus blade and/or bolster...

By the way, who's judging the contest? :evil

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 09-25-2002, 01:31 PM

There are so many variables to consider when offering airfare as a reward/prize that we do not feel it is a direction we want to go.

Any category winner that wants an "Exhibitor" pass to the Blade show can get one.

The judging will be done by Alex, Darrel, and me (Jerry) AKA The Three Horsemen.

There are no "required" components, or percentage of components that are required. We want these knives to be representative of our products, yet we also want to show the growth and possibilities inherent in the product. Use your best judgement.

PEACE

Old 09-25-2002, 04:19 PM
Master

How long before the Dec 1st announcement should the posts be in? (the cutoff date for entries)

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!
Old 09-25-2002, 04:34 PM

Any e-mails received before December 1st will be considered.

Last edited by ghen; 09-25-2002 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Men,

Please do not post preliminary images of your contest knives in this or any other public arena. I will film each knife in an anonymous image set and post them. I'll be sending the knives up to OHIO without letting the other judges know their authorship for the voting. The best built kit knife will win on it's own merits.

Dennis, the real $$$ value of this contest is the "title". The grinder is just a door prize for the effort being made. There are a lot of guys that would be happy to have another new grinder in their shop, but a businessman would trade 10 grinders for that title, I would speculate. Don't invest more than you can afford, though. It's like a poker hand ... only invest what you can afford to loose. There are some unreal kit makers out here that you haven't heard from yet ... and, several, right here, that aren't going to lay down, for sure. If you win this contest, and you can, you'll have to beat some of the "best" to do it!
What's that worth to you?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 09-25-2002, 07:00 PM

Important changes

As Alex mentioned, the submission process has changes to assure the fairness of the process.

THE BEST KNIFE WINS!!

Peace

GHEN

Old 09-25-2002, 07:22 PM

Exclamation

Alex and Co.-

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm definitely in! That was never at question for me. That still doesn't stop me from wrestling a bit with the rationale at a time when money is very tight for yours truly...and I really have had an easy time at selling my knives for good money. It's as simple as that. (See my recent post in this forum about my knife sales)

My concept and design was basically completed yesterday, and I'm pulling out all the stops! I began work on the knife late last night. This could take me awhile so don't hold your breath, I will have it submitted in time.

Yes getting the title would be very cool, I for one am going for the glory!

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 09-25-2002, 07:24 PM

Well Dennis, we won't hold our breath, but with you pulling out all the stops, I am sure it will take our breath away!

Old 10-01-2002, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

Gosh - I go away for a few weeks and look what happens!!

What a great idea!!! I finally got a bit of schedule relief from my day job so I can actually spend some on this hobby. 60 to 80 hour weeks can be a real drag!! Actually, I've been able to play a bit over the last couple of weeks, but not a lot. I'm just setting up a light box at home and I'll if I can FINALLY get some pics posted.

I've had a chance to play with some stock removal stuff and a bit of tempering. My poor 1X30 has sure taken a beating!!! It's been a great learning experience - I can tell you that much - and great fun!!

I have a question about the contest - Can we or should we submit a sheath with the knife?

Thx - gord

Old 10-01-2002, 03:57 PM

I am going to make a judgement call here.

For three days following this year's Blade show, I got to hang out with Jerry Fisk (National Living Treasure). We talked for many hours about ABS judging and the like. His description of the judging impressed me as a truly fair, non-political process (something the custom knife world needs more of).

Having said that I am going to take a page from the ABS book for judging. Here goes:

You can submit a sheath, or any other accessory with your knife, if you don't, there is no count against you. If you do, everything you submit will be judged by the same standards. Send an awesome knife, in a so so sheath...thats the breaks.

For my money, I would just submit a knife, but that is me.

Old 10-01-2002, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

Many thx - I think that's about all one could ask. I've only sold a couple of fixed blade kits in the short time I've been doing this (I still feel I can do better!!), and always included a sheath.

My order went in this a.m. Hopefully, I can get my digital camera taking my pics how I want them.

Is it safe to assume that the pictures submitted should reflect as much detail as possible about the knife made? In other words, a profile, top edge and close ups (if filework is done)?

Thx again -gord

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives