MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-28-2002, 01:55 PM
jony

OK, thanks for the encouragement Colin

This is what I posted on the Fusion Forum thread:

"I have a request then, a clip point hollow ground blade, under 3 inches, hole opening, CF scales, no bolster, lanyard hole and any other lock but a liner lock Can this be done?"

Old 04-28-2002, 02:25 PM
LdRothermere

####!!

You don't ask for much do you Jony?

Old 04-28-2002, 03:23 PM
jony

Don't get me started
Old 04-28-2002, 04:55 PM
Martyn

Re: Newbie...

LD, if you have completed one knife, that's one more than me I figure we could screw up a fusion project with class and learn a bit into the bargain.

Colin, thanks for the links. I've copied em all into a favourites folder I also found this on rogers website: www.phoenix-steels-sheffield.co.uk seems like a good site for small runs and silver alloys.

Coop, glad to hear the forum is open to the mechanics of a free free market economy Really though, good as the US retailers are, being on the other side of the Atlantic (not to mention continental borders, airfrieght, customs, import duty and tax), presents it's own set of problems and costs. I'm just looking for some UK alternatives purely from a geographical "ease of access" point of view. The above can easily double the invoice for small items.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:21 PM
andy gascoigne

Hi Martyn

Just caught your thread on U.K knifemakers and materials etc.
I'm a newbie knifemaker from the u.k ( Chesterfield,Derby,s) and have made a few fixed blades and now have got into folders. I have had the same problems sourcing materials and would welcome any ways of buying cheaper!.

I get my Nickel Silver from Metalplas.co.uk
I have also had wood from Craft Supplies but can confirm that they do not do stabalizing. All timber is only part seasoned, watch out for warping and checking!!. I have had some of there snake wood, its VERY hard and dos'nt need stabalizing, but it's also very expensive.

If you would like to see any photo's or details on my home built grinder please let me know, I can post photo's on here or send you vie email.

Lets get a list of U.K knife makers together and share our resources.

Andy Gascoigne
Old 04-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Roger Gregory

Gentlemen

Follow my links page to Phoenix Steels for your steel and to RS Components for all your brass, bronze, copper, stainless, O-1 and Silver Steel needs......

I haven't found anyone who stabilises wood over here which is a shame. If anyone comes across a plae.....share the name!

Has anyone used Tufnol products yet? They make phenolic resin impregnated products rather like Micarta .... I think electrician's knives out of Sheffield used the stuff. I'm tempted to try some.

I like the idea of using local Red Deer antler on some of these kits, a mix of the Old and New worlds

Roger

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives