MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Steel Addict

a pair of DDR3's

a set of DDR3's i made for a customer here in stl........kingwood, black ash burl w/ blue dye.......S pattern filework.....pictures really suck and theyre really big for some reason, but i still dont have enough money for a new camera yet......anyway let me know what you guys think, thanks.............

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Skilled

Hey Derek,

Looks good! File work looks pretty consistent even though it's blown up so big. Have you tried to resize your pics before downloading them? I think we used to do 600x600 and they'd come out about the right size. Anyway good job.

Bill

ps you still in texas?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Derek. The DDR's look good. They must be the button lock models.

Do you plan on installing the thumbstud, or are they using spring-open only?

Mike
Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Steel Addict

bill, i try to resize but then i get too frustrated and give up lol....gonna have lauren try to give it a shot......we moved from texas back to st louis....job offers yet again, we plan to visit to see friends and at some point im going to get to johnny stout for some lessons. i would love to get together and have some dinner when we get down there so i will definitly be in touch. thank you for the kind words about the filework. its comin along slowly, im plannin on getting that filework DVD from knife kits or texas knife. taught myself the s pattern, but i really need to learn the rope vine pattern. but ill post with progress on that too. good hearing from you.

mike, i would normally install the thumbstuds and leave out the springs, since there is a legal issue. however these two were sold to a judge; he could carry a sword if he wanted to, lol. officer of the peace, so he gets the special treatment. he wants one more, to match his "court guns". i will post with that one also. thanks for the words......talk at you guys later.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Steel Addict

I would have built one of the BL's for myself but there are laws against carrying one here in CA.

Would be nice to feel that 'snap!'.

Mike
Old 10-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Steel Addict

yep, we got the same laws here which prevents me from sporting one.......an interesting side note on automatics. the judge i sold them to got out the missouri law book and we had a look at that specific law. turns out the law was passed in the 50's. it was what the judge calls a "feel good law". appearently after "West Side Story", everyone got really freaked out about greasers over running the country with switch blades. lol. the sad thing is that i can get my fixed blade out of my belt sheath faster than anyone could an auto out of their pocket and open it....but oh well. have a good one.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Steel Addict

I was just thinking about that...How does he get to be 'above the law'?

I was just fondling my latest DDR3 liner lock. I have it all broken in now with Bronze Phosphor washers (highly recommended).

It is scary fast to open, absolutely no lash in blade. Careful on the closing......

Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 01:15 AM
Steel Addict

not sure on how he gets to be above the law, in missouri an officer of the peace gets to carry pretty much what they want and they do not fall under the ccw laws..... been thinking about the bronze washers for awhile. did you get the ones from knife kits? i just ran into white lightning.. its a wax instead of an oil... check it out at texasknife.com
Old 10-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Steel Addict

I use white lightning on my multi tools and SAKs.

I find the BP washers don't need much lubrication. They make a world of difference over the teflon washers. At a little over a buck a pair, well worth it.

Buy a few sets with your next order, you will be impressed.

Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Steel Addict

will definitly do that. thanks for the info. ill let u know how they work out. thanks mike.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Derek..the knives look great along with the file work....i especially like the blue burl. I'm still a newbie on filework but catching on fast. Bought a set of diamond burrs and found they sure make the job alot easier. In Indiana we can carry assisted opening knives but can't carry any knife with a double edge or a spring loaded stiletto ( don't really care for stiletto's anyhow ). Keep up the good work and get those pics reduced, thought Christmas was gonna get here before they loaded...LOL
Old 10-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Steel Addict

im workin on gettin my images the right size.....if you want to try out the S pattern give it a shot its really simple. take a round/cylindrical file/dremel bit and put notches in the backspine evenly down one side of the backspine. go to the other side and put the notches there too, but put them opposite of the other side. once that is done which i think is the most difficult part because i dont use a scribe and going by my eye gets difficult sometimes......anyway, once both sides have the little half circle notches you will start to see the pattern. just round it off and you got your S pattern...but ya im still learnin myself, got into the knife kits about 2 years ago. just got real serious with it, but the filework is what really made me interested so ive put the majority of my efforts into that.....if you have any tips or anything on filework let me know....thanks for the kind words. have a good one.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

Easiest way I have found to reduce pictures is to open them up in Microsoft Paint. To find it click on Start then All Programs and look under the Accessories folder. Open the file (picture), click on Image on the menu bar and then click on Stretch/Skew. You will see 100% in two boxes. You will need to play with the numbers to get the correct size that you want. 50% in each box will reduce the picture by 50%. You want to put the same number in both boxes so the picture reduces evenly. Otherwise you will reduce on side only or one side more than the other and it will distort the view. Be sure to save the file by a different name in case you mess up and need to go back to the original file. The picture will kind of blur out if you reduce it too much and try to enlarge it again.

In His Service,
Reid Allen
Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Steel Addict

waredbear, thank you for the info will give it a shot.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Derek,
I just ordered the DDR3 kit, and wanted to build it as an automatic. Can you let me know what parts and proceedures I would need in order to accomlish this. My business is run at home, and I will be using it for home use only. Many thanks for the consicive instructions and pictures of your DDR3'S. I'm just getting started in this game and any advice would be appriciated.

Best Regards,
chuck1942

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives, switchblade