MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:53 AM

I have a problem with blade alignment also. I tried tightening the pivot without success, loosening the pivot with some movement of the blade toward the center, but the blade movement in the open position was excessive. With a full spine, pressing on the side of the frame has little effect. I even tried to tap one side of the frame down on the bolster, thinking that the pivot was slightly crooked.

The good news is that even though it's not centered, the blade does not touch the frame. Great kit, I'll try to post some pictures of the finished product in the future.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Steel Addict

Blade Alignment

Chief,
You said you did a full spine. Did you sand it down so that it's not too thick? They come from Knife Kits too thick, for reasons that escape me. Too tall makes sense, giving some design flexibility, but too thick just puzzles...

Dave
Old 05-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

Dave,

Some one can correct me here if I'm wrong but as far as I know the backspines are universal for all the DDR3's - meaning they are oversized for imbelishment. The backspines I got for me two standard DDR3's are the same width as the standoffs but the standoffs on the DDR3BL's are slightly thinner than on the other knives. So you can use them for a frame lock DDR3 w/o modification in width but for the BL's you'll have to thin them down some.

S1N

Old 05-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Administrator

That's correct!

The spines on the 3 series are universal. The BL model has a smaller width on the liner cavity, which requires additional fitting.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Steel Addict

Look for burrs in the holes of the bolsters where the slot was milled. I had a alignment problem with mine and that was the problem. i got three questions; conversion kit?????
unless my blade is loose enough to wobble its very hard to open will polishing the pivoting surfaces be all that is required to remedy this? i keep seeing at knifekits. com and texas kanifemakers suppler that there is an optional pocket clip to order but yet I don't see a place to order it lol. is it specail made for this knife or should i order a generic one?

Glad to see there is a Damascus blade comming out for these . when I look at it ( i just recieved my kit) it screams damascus to me. great kit , can't wait to see coops embelishments.

Ok 4 or 5 questions.......Darrel would you be interested in grinding me a blade from Damascus, don't think I can wait to long and maybe som mosaic bolsters in a left hand coinfiguration? i gotta go see what I can find on that conversion spring thingy sounds very interesting.

Tags
blade, knife, knives