MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
ok i worked on the 3 kits that would not lock up and i managed to fix 2 out of the 3. one is now beyond repair with normal techniques. so i guess 4 out if 5 is not that bad.

...justin
Old 01-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

I've tried several of these kits from several different distributors and have had the best luck by far with those from Darrell & Alex.

That being said, I have a problem with the 007 kit I received this morning. Everything went fine except one minor detail. The blade is warped. Very warped. By warped I mean if I lay it flat on a smooth flat surface, such as the top of an anvil then look at the blade from edge-on there's a slightly greater than 1/32nd wide gap in the center between the center of the blade and the top of the anvil. I assume I can simply put the blade in a vise and carefully de-warp it back into shape, but before trying it I want to make sure I won't be stressing the blade too much or be otherwise reducing the safty factor for the blade. This is going to my bro-in-law and we do NOT want to give him anything with a potential for failure. Not knowing my sister we don't. I'll use it on myself before I let her get hold of me. LOL.

Second issue. The spine I received for the GX-6 kit is deffinately not for a GX-6. It looks like one for a DDR2 or 3. Doesn't even resemble the GX-6 one on the web site. Do I just need to call to get it exchanged or what??

Other than those 2 issues all the rest of the kits and supplies are great. I'll finish my new shop this week and be ready to start on the fixed blade kits. Great product and good work guys.

Wulf
Old 01-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
after fixing the locks and customisng a few of them. i still was not happy with the strength of the locks. so after much thaught i decided to duble stack 2 sets of the liners so that each side has duble the thickness of the original kit. i had to grind down the detent ball on the outer most locking liner. so that thay fit closely together and move under the blade tang with no space between them. the lock feels much more secure and the look and feel are even better now. now its nice and hefty plus i always like a thicker liner/frame and lock. ths also meens more file work area although it might look different becaus the liners are double stacked and there is a seem. i also opted to leave the handel scales off and bend the clip down so that if fits well with out the scales. now the knife looks like a KERSHAW LEEK.
i will post pics when i get my camera back

...justin

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives