MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 06-21-2003, 01:58 AM

New kits at Blade

Just thought I'd drop in a couple of comments/impressions regarding the new kits:

I got to handle the protos for the new DDR3 at Blade...That is indeed a very nice knife.

As Darrel pointed out in another thread, the fit and finish has been raised to a new level...The possible variations have an obvious appeal to anyone who'd want to customize, and I do like the new size. (I've got a customer who was just asking for a knife much like this to use for his EDC...I'm sure he'd really like the DDR3!). Believe me, I was more than a little disappointed that it won't be out yet for another few months...bummer!

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to getting started on the Typhoon...I must admit, now that I've seen it up close and personal I am intrigued...got some nifty ideas cookin' ...(just waiting on something from Alex which I need in order to dive in...).

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. Darrel-I enjoyed meeting your son Ryan...You've got a sharp kid there. Obviously the talent comes from you, but the good looks and nice personality must come from his mother
Old 06-21-2003, 06:53 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Dennis, I made a point of stopping back by and reminding Alex to make sure you got a Typhoon. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

BTW, it was really great to meet you at the show. I almost didn't recognize you with the optivisor on. Maybe you should change your avitar...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 06-21-2003, 08:34 PM

Dennis,
Ryan's good looks come from his mother alright! Other things she could not provide.
Thanks for the kind comments. Ryan has passion for knives. He will have his own custom folders out soon.

After we talked Dennis I hope you realized the potential of the newer knife kit models coming out. (ddr3)
They will be set up to serve most needs of the knife maker.
If a person askes for a tactical .. you can put carbon fiber or g10 on the ddr3 with 4 different blade and bolster arrangements to meet your customers needs depending on there taste and planned use of the knife. The same holds true for art knives, hunting knives and utility knife set ups. You can grind your own blades on the Typhoon and the new DDRIII series.
The knife maker that sees the potential of these new designs will win the game.

The Typhoon is sitting in limbo waiting for the ULTIMATE CUSTOM CARVING JOB on the FACE of the handles. My goodness, how much more space do you need to make a splashing statement about your ability as an artist? What about engraving? What about gold pearl inlays and THEN engraving!

I want to make a statement right now about the Typhoon.
A Bali collector ordered a 3500.00-4000.00 TYPHOON at the show!
He wants a standard model modified to extreme top notch specifications. Does that say anything to the kit builders out there? Can you hear me? Can you read into this?

I can! All of the good folks out there building kits have inserted another level into the custom knife arena. Collectors and makers alike are accepting more and more that it's about the heart and soul that goes into the knife, not how you built the frame of it, that counts. I am ####ed proud of each and every one of you. Our dream of raising the bar on custom artistry, knife building education and QUALITY in the knife world is coming to fruition. Knife kit acceptance is now becoming a standard. When a collector buys a 4000.00 modified kit knife, it makes a VERY STRONG STATMENT. This is what kit knives is all about. Collectors buy what they like not how you build it.
Thanks to you all!
Old 06-21-2003, 08:56 PM

Jamey-

It was great to finally put a face to the name...

Sorry if I appeared slightly flustered at first...When you introduced yourself I immediately thought you to be another Jamey I'd met through the forums. It didn't occur to me that the savvy Jamey Saunders I speak with nearly every day in the CKD could be less than 50+ years of age, least of all someone of your age. (I was a little spaced out from hours and hours of Blade...but I put you to be in your late 20's maybe?) You've managed to acquire an awful lot of smarts early on in life...well done sir!

Thanks for the compliments, and yes I did make a point of picking up the Typhoon on Sunday. (I don't think there was any way that Alex and Darrel were gonna let me get out of there without one! ) )

Darrel-

You are 110% right about the new kits...Many, many possibilities. I promise I'll try my best not to let you down on the Typhoon...As you say, lots of quality "canvas" for me to play with!!!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 06-22-2003, 04:22 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Thanks for the compliment, Dennis. I turned 27 at the end of May. I've always been more comfortable around people 20 or more years older than myself. I don't know why. My wife just says I'm an old fogey...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 06-22-2003, 07:42 PM

That's what threw me...

When you walked up to our table and introduced yourself as Jamey Saunders I was expecting to see someone who looked like an old fogey!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 06-22-2003, 08:57 PM

Guess I'll have to work on that for next year...

Old 06-26-2003, 04:19 PM

I just wanted to throw in my $ 0.02 as well. I went to Blade for two days this year and got to handle the DDR3 protos and was FLOORED! These things are the greatest! I'm not a person who gets excited about liner locks, in fact, I don't even own a liner lock because I generally don't like them. The DDR3 is an exception! I immediately got on the pre-order list. It has wonderful balance and a near perfect blade shape and length for EDC. Of course, I'm going to want to mix blade shapes, bolsters, etc. and I've got ideas for "upgrades". I especially liked the ramped blade; very, very comfortable.

Strange thing though, I knew he was around somewhere but during all two days, every time I looked for DR he was no where to be found! Seriously, I mean I must have tried to track him down about 8 times! So here's a big "Thank You" to DR for this new model that I had hoped to tell you in person.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:49 PM

NO,
Thanks for the kind words.
Just to let you know ... I am not a fan of liner locks unless they are made to function properly. We are having these manufactured to our spec with thicker liners that are heat treated. This really helps when it boils down to lock performance and longevity.
Sorry we didnt get to hook up.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:24 PM

Well that would explain why I liked the liner lock on this knife so much. Thanks!

I might have to make more than one.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:37 PM

To "Nobody":
Just in case you didn't know and as an FYI for next year's show,...

While the Knifekits "booth" was set up in the back of the room near the other manufacturers...with Alex along with Darrel's son Ryan trying to keep up running that (understandably) very busy table, DR had his own table up towards the front. (There's a pecking order at Blade...those who are more established and been around longer with past tables at blade can work their way year-by-year, towards the front of the room where there's inherently better "action."). I strongly recommend that you try and find DR's table at the next big show...and get there early so you get a chance to see and handle his customs...they are simply not to be believed! 8o

While I was at his table, Darrel handed me a pearl handled auto that must have been close to a foot in length...CLOSED! An amazing piece of engineering and beauty, the checkered MOP scales were beautifully, decoratively, masterfully pinned (with N/S pinsI think)...It looks to me like decorative pins are the next "hot" embellishment. Although nothing new I think they're getting a lot of new-found attention...especially with examples around such as Darrel's.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. When I got back from Blade I was inspired and subsequently sidetracked by one of my new sets of Eggerling damascus bolsters. In order to really make use of the central pattern they have to be applied to a small knife, so I immediately jumped into a DDR2 kit I had lying around. The bolsters are done and look awesome...I'm using tagua nut (aka Ivory nut) for spacers along with Kudzu horn scales...red liner spacer (disposable plastic plate of course )...and I have something very ambitious planned for the backspine (the hint: I'm calling this knife "Black Widow"). So far it's looking really cool...Having never worked with either material before, I love the way the Tagua nut works with the dark, translucent horn.

I mention all this because I took a few minutes out this evening to try a dry run at putting together my new Typhoon kit. IMHO this knife is going to be cool as sh*t!!! Can't wait to finish the DDR2 so I can get started on the Typhoon. (Of course I've already got some nifty ideas brewing for this wonderfully constructed and intriguing new knife - Dennis)
Old 06-26-2003, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the info about the table order. I did not know that but quickly figured it out after I was there a bit. I did stop by his table three times but after the show was in progress a bit. He was already wandering around apparently. I met a guy at his table who had quite a nice collection of DR's work. Really nice guy but I can't remember his name. So many people it gets kind of hard to remember them all!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Yes, the Knifekits.com booth is conveniently located near the "food and beverage" isle. "Grab a hotdog, grab some mustard, grab a kit!"

Hey, I got my marketing degree from the Carnival. What can I say?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Skilled

the truth comes out, Alex was a carny

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 06-27-2003, 11:21 AM

Hey Dennis,
That old wives tale is untrue about show table placement.
If someone wants to find you at a show they will.
I have never bitched and moaned (like some) to a show promoter to get a (better) table.
I feel there is no such thing.
If they want you they will find you.
Jerry finds me at the table in NY every year.
Of coarse we do this for reasons other than knives.
We have a few sips. Then we go to the Carnegie and eat one of those big deli delights!

As for knife kits ... Two good spots in the room for a booth.
EAT.... or the facility. Ill take the eaters. You never know what they have handled after leaving the facility!

Tags
blade, knife, knives